Ch.6

The next few days passed quickly as Maria worked with Jonathan on a stronger toxin. One that could even make the Batman fear.

It was on the fourth day when they finally finished. They had made a liquid version and a gas one. Now Jonathan and her were standing in an alley way around midnight. The shadows masked them as Maria looked at Jonathan.

"How are we going to make him show up?" She asked quietly.

"We have to have bait."

"Bait? Wait, you mean me don't you?"

He glanced at her through the eye holes of his scarecrow mask. "Unless you would like to make it clear to Gotham that you are an accomplice to me tonight."

Silence settled. A car screeching sounded in the distance.

"Not yet." She finally said. "First I need a different identity."

"Fine." He said simply. "Now follow me."

They walked for half a mile till they reached the police building.

"What are we doing here Jonathan?" She asked as they started to climb up the building, using the metal fire escape that snaked up the side of the building.

Jonathan remained silent until they reached the roof, where he helped her up. "This," he motioned to a floodlight with a bat symbol on it. "Will bring the Batman to us."

"Genius." She muttered sarcastically as Jonathan switched it on.

He rolled his eyes in annoyance, but didn't say anything.

They ended up waiting for about ten minutes until they saw an approaching figure dressed like a bat, still a few rooftops away.

"I wonder if he remembers me from Arkham that night." She whispered to Jonathan.

"Well then he'll probably think I need something from you since your a doctor." He responded. "Now act like a frightened young woman who is in a frighting situation."

Maria didn't register what was happening until Jonathan wrapped an arm around her neck, not tightly enough to choke her, just tightly enough to look real. She didn't have to pretend to look frightened as the Batman neared, because she honestly didn't know what would happen next.

"Let her go Crane." The Batman said in his deep, firm voice.

She could see Jonathan shake his head in the corner of her eye. "Why should I?" He asked.

The Batman walked closer. "Crane-"

Jonathan abruptly pushed her to the ground of the roof top, and pressed a button in his sleeve, letting out a fast streak of white gas that engulfed the Batman.

"Are you having a bit of trouble?" He asked, as the Batman collapsed to his knees coughing. He shakely waved a hand in the air, as if to wipe away whatever he saw.

"That won't help you know." Jonathan said, chuckling evilly. "Just give in to the fear."

"No." The Batman said hoarsely and tried to stand, and only walking one step before he collapsed again.

Maria knew something bad was going to happen as Jonathan stepped a bit closer to the struggling Batman. And the bad thing was Batman regaining focus for a moment and punching Jonathan in his side.

Jonathan remained standing, yet let out a hiss of pain. "Let's up the dosage, shall we?" He breathed and stuck a syringe in Batman's neck, injecting him.

The Batman shook his head and tried to stand, but fell over. That's when the door on the rooftop opened and Commissioner Gordon was revealed.

"What the-?" His next words were coughing as Jonathan threw a metal sphere at the man.

Maria stood up from the ground, as Jonathan walked over. "We're going to leave now." He calmly said. "More police will be on the way, and I can't risk facing them with you being here."

She nodded and took the lead down the ladder. When both of their feet was on solid ground. They heard a grapple gun being fired, and a familiar shape flying overhead.

"Are we going to see him again tonight?" She asked.

"Doubt it. With that much toxin in his veins, he'll need a couple days to recover at least."

"Brilliant." She mused as she linked her arm in his. "Absolutely brilliant."

...

The next morning she awoke on an old threadbare couch, and she jolted up frantically, but then relaxed as she recognized the small room. She was in the building with the cells, and Jonathan's lab.

Maria stood up and straightened out her black T-shirt and brushed off her black jeans. Her leather coat was on the arm of the couch, with her gray sneakers.

But she left them there as she walked down the short hall and into Jonathan's lab.

"What are you doing now?" She casually asked.

Jonathan didn't move as he carefully counted a number of drops into a beaker full of white liquid, which started to turn a tannish color. "Making more of the new toxin." He finally replied.

"Didn't you sleep?"

"No." He set down the beaker to turn towards her.

"You should. Your body needs rest."

He shook his head. "Too many things to get done."

"Be stubborn then." She said with a small smile. "I'm going to leave and go home to freshen up. I have a job interview at three, in five hours."

He nodded, distracted, and didn't reply. So she shrugged her shoulders and turned to go.

"Good luck."

She turned back in surprise, but Jonathan already turned his attention back to his work.

Maria smiled and quickly walked over and hugged him, then left the room before he realized what she had just done.

>Comment/feedback is welcome!<