•Chapter Nine•

I look left and then right, checking for guards or anyone who would rat me out. If anyone saw me, I'd have to stay in doors for even longer.

It's been a week since the date that mother and father had to supposedly 'hand me over' and I'm loosing my mind.

Just a few more steps.. I think to myself as I walk cautiously towards the door.

I smile as my hand wraps around the door handle, and finding it to be unlocked.

I look left and right once again and smile brighter when I see no threat.

I take a deep breath as I pull the door open and curse myself as it makes a loud creak which echoes off of the carved wooden walls. Someone must've heard that!

And they did.

Two seconds later, Caleb and Tobias come running around the corner with worried faces.

Tobias relaxes when he sees it's only me but Caleb's hardens.

We never really talked about our little spat a week ago. I was still angry at him for not letting me into meetings and stopping me go outside.

"Beatrice, what do you think you are doing!?" Caleb spits, his face reddening with anger.

"I just wanted to go outside.." I mumble.

"You know the rules! You can't go outside until we know it's one hundred percent safe!" He fumes.

I bow my head down feeling like I am being scolded by a parent.

"You don't understand! You can't just-"

"I get it! I get it okay?" I interrupt him and surprise is evident on both their faces. "I'm just the princess right?" I mumble sadly, and walk straight past them and into my bedroom.

I'll always be just the princess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Days have past and still wasn't allowed to go outside. I couldn't even open my curtains incase someone saw me. I'm forgetting what daylight looked like.

I tried to 'escape' again yesterday during a meeting but I was caught. Again.

Luckily, it was just Tobias this time. He was frustrated but somehow we didn't get angry at each other. He seemed to understand me better than the others. I knew it wasn't his fault I was made to stay inside.

He's been trying to make me feel better but it's not working. Sometimes it's not even the fact I can't go outside, it's just the loss of feeling free and the feeling of being trapped replacing it.

I shouldn't feel trapped in a place I call home.

"Come in!" I shout when a knock vibrates through my bedroom.

I sit up from lying on my bed to see Robert at my door.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion when I see no tray or cleaning supplies in his hands. Robert nearly is always coming to deliver food or ask me to move as he needs to clean my room. He almost looks nervous.

"What's up?" I ask.

He fiddles with his hands nervously. "May I come in?"

I nod, still very confused. I motion him to sit on the other side of my bed and he perches on the end.

"You see, madam-"

"Robert just call me Beatrice, please!" I beg. "I would feel way more comfortable."

He fiddles with his hands again and hesitantly responds. "Beatrice," I smile. "I was just wondering how you are...?"

"I'm fine..." I say, confused. All that do ask me if I am alright.