Chapter Nineteen

It was the early morning hours. The sun had yet to make its beautiful appearance and the quarter moon was low in the sky. Although still warm compares to home for this time of morning, the air was slightly chilly. Evelyn leaned back into Angus body who was standing behind her, his arms draped casually over her shoulder. They were standing looking at his home, completely inaccessible from the missing bridge, but it was Angus goodbye to his home.

Angus loved the idea of traveling back with Evy, experience new things and be with her always however this was his home. He was shipwrecked when he was three years old and didn't have one memory of his life in civilization that he knows of. His parents had taught him everything he knew to this day to survive, and he was glad their language was English so he could converse, although with a bit of difficulty, with Evelyn and her family. He was excited, so excited he didn't know how to act upon it, but knowing no matter what Evelyn told him, the chances of him returning home wasn't very high. That kind of dampened the mood.

Evelyn's wild hair floated around by the breeze, the colour so dark it was captivating. It curled in long ringlets, sticking up in every direction making it 'frizzy' as she would call it. But Angus loved it. He lowered his head so his chin was on the top of her head. They stayed in silence but every now and then some of her hair would blow up and into his face and he'd swat it away.

"We should probably go soon." He heard Evelyn soft voice drift up to him, the breeze from being near a cliff taking her voice away slightly.

"Mhmmm," he mumbled but this was harder than he suspected it to be. He's had so many memories here, hardly any that are good but he was still fond of them. Where the bridge is now missing is where they killed the marozi but many years before that he too had fallen into the dangers of the water, damaging his shoulder to the point where he couldn't use it for months. He remembered lying in the hut with his parents every night, his mom teaching him English, for lady in the sky knows why, to make sure he spoke it correctly. His dad taught him a thing called math and how to add, subtract, divide and multiply but that was ages ago. It was in the back of his mind, but he wished he had paid more attention for more memories of his parts. Although he is okay with their deaths, he still wanted positive memories to outweigh the horrific memory of their unexpected parting to the women in the sky leaving him all alone at a young age to defend for himself.

"Are you okay Gus?" Evelyn asked. She squirmed in his hold much to his annoyance to turn and face him. When he realized she wasn't trying to leave him, the corner of his lips twitched up and he pulled her into a tight hug. He was huge in comparison to her with her head only reaching just below his shoulders. She molded into him and she tightly hugged him back, the only form to comfort him she could think of.

"Evy not leave me? At your home." It was his only concern. He needed to make sure she was always around to protect and to look after. He had grown attached to the small female he loved and if she left him when they returned home, he wouldn't know what to do.

"Of course not Angus." She frowned up at him. "If you want me around, then I'll be there for you. One hundred percent."

Gus nodded, happy with her answer.

Evelyn wanted desperately to ask him the same thing, and believe him when he replied the same.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The boat was the first familiar thing Angus encountered. When the large ship sailed in and anchored 150 meters offshore, Angus knew that he had seen it somewhere before. It was familiar to him but he couldn't place it from where he knew it from. By himself, while everyone including his Evy, packed the last of their things, Angus sat in just his shorts and no shirt for the last time on the sandy beach, staring aimlessly at the ship. His mind was running everywhere but the thoughts were nothing to be concerned about. He was just curious.