Chapter Forty

"Angus, you're twenty minutes late." Loretta shook her head in disapproval when Angus finally walked into her office. Mumbling an insincere apology, Gus took a seat at the table, ready to start the educational aspect of his lessons.

"Your secretary doesn't like me." Angus spoke out when Loretta took a seat next to him with a small huff.

"Emily? Why would you say that?" Loretta was surprised, even caught off guard, by Angus' sudden statement. He had never talked about Emily before, and according to Emily, he and never talked to her before. From what Loretta had gathered, Angus didn't give a damn on what people thought of him; Only Evelyn. So why was he bringing this up now?

Angus just shrugged his shoulders, his fingers fiddling with the ball point pen in front of him.

"Angus, you've never cared if somebody liked you or not apart from Evelyn. Why now are you asking about something that never used to bother you?" Loretta questioned, worried some habits and insecurities from regular society have started to affect Angus. She couldn't be more wrong.

"I don't care, I just want to know if she's telling everyone all my information." Angus looked Loretta deep in the eyes gauging her reaction to his accusation. Her body did not once stiffen, she didn't blink or recoil in guilt. She only frowned, a look of shock on her face.

"What we talk about is confidential, not talked about out of this office." She defended her organisation.

"I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning her." Angus said, his voice low and calculating.

"What we talk about she does not know of, only me and whoever you tell. My notes are locked away in my office where there are only two keys."

"Who has the two keys?"

"Excuse me?" Loretta asked, shocked she was being interrogated.

"Two people have keys to the filing cabinet. Who are the two people?"

Loretta blinked in shock. "Myself."

"And?"

"And Emily. But she is not leaking those files, I am sure of it."

"You're very defensive about this." Angus said casually, leaning back to look at her.

"Because you're accusing my profession, my secretary and my organisation of breaching rules and regulations."

"I wasn't accusing, just questioning. I'm sorry if I've offended you in any ways here. Evy is just very stressed about this, and she wants me to ask everyone." Angus lied. He couldn't give a crap if he offended her.

"Thank you, Angus." Loretta took a deep breath to compose herself. "I didn't mean to get so angry there. I worked so hard, so damn hard to get this establishment to the success it has today. I would never even risk it to have it shut down." Angus nodded his head while Loretta calmed down.

"While Evy and I were camping, something happened." Angus said. Loretta looked up, composed and professional once again. He took a deep breath before speaking. "We had another fight, a huge fight."

"What was it about, Angus?"

"She accused me of cheating with the same girl we had issues with last time."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"You're Emily, yes?" Angus asked once he stepped out of his session. He decided to approach the secretary and see if he could find anything wrong with her.