Chapter 14 | Sure, Why Not?

Elena's P.O.V.

The smile was still alive when I entered the theater. Despite the events that had happened, the excitement in my body was still burning just as bright as the sun.

"Hello?" My words echoed across the big and empty stage room. "Francis, are you still here?"

There was no reply nor a sound, heck, it felt like the room really was abandoned.

With a sigh of disappointment, I took out the songs sheets Ms. Foster had forced in my arms. As I looked through them, I began to wonder how I was going to do my homework now.

Great, all that escaping and running for nothing.

"Is that you, dear?" A sudden voice spoke and startled me, causing the papers to fly out of my hands.

Snapping my head towards the source, I let out a breath of relief. "God, Francis. Hasn't anyone told you to not sneak up on people?"

My ears listened to his chuckle as I began to pick up the song sheets from the ground. "And has not anyone told you to rest a broken arm?" The monk retorted, bending down to help me.

Well, let's see: Dr. Lee, all the nurses-

I narrowed my eyes, "No comment."

Francis laughed, but the gleam slowly disappeared when he looked down at my homework. "Are all of these songs?" His eyes scanned them, paper by paper.

I nodded, "Yeah. They're all homework from my music teacher." I explained, but he was too busy looking through them that he probably didn't even listen to what I was saying.

"You do not mind if I. . ." He trailed off, nodding towards the songs sheets and the piano.

A huge grin spilled over my face. "Please, be my guest," I was excited to hear him play again. He was, after all, a musical genius.

I watched him making himself ready to play, and all I could do was to wait in elation. Not soon after he had put the song sheets in front of him, he created a beautiful melody with the instrument.

Chills danced over my body, creating goosebumps all over my skin. All I could do in this hypnotic moment was to enjoy its graceful sound.

But all that magic came to a halt when he suddenly stopped playing. "Elena, would you do me the honor and fill this empty melody with your voice?" He asked and looked at me with his cloudy orbs.

Empty melody? For Santa's sake, Francis, I could fly to the moon and back by using your music as fuel.

I grinned, "Sure, why not?" Before I knew it, he had pulled out a chair under the piano, something I arched an eyebrow at.

How long has he been hiding that?

He gave me a confused smile. "What?"

I shook my head and muttered a 'nothing', sitting down on the stool. This time, Francis didn't stop playing and I didn't stay silent.

"You and me, we made a vow
For better or for worse
I can't believe you let me down
But the proof's in a way it hurts.

"For months on end, I've had my doubts
Denying every tear
I wish this would be over now
But I know that I still need you here."

It still amazed me by how unique and beautiful he played. I could hardly believe how he managed to make a song this simple, sound so complicated and magical.

For each note he played, he added either a tangent or a key - and sometimes a chord, - which made the song even more detailed and enchanted. He enhanced every note like an individual.

"You say I'm crazy
'Cause you don't think I know what you've done
But when you call me baby
I know I'm not the only one.

"You've been so unavailable
Now sadly I know why
Your heart is unobtainable
Even though Lord knows you kept mine."

Francis briefly looked at me with a kind smile, which I returned with the same amount of joy.

"You say I'm crazy
'Cause you don't think I know what you've done
But when you call me baby
I know I'm not the only one.

"I have loved you for many years
Maybe I am just not enough
You've made me realize my deepest fear
By lying and tearing us up."

Who knew that doing homework could be this much fun? Perhaps God has finally found someone else to annoy for a change?

Nah.

"You say I'm crazy
'Cause you don't think I know what you've done
But when you call me baby
I know I'm not the only one
You say I'm crazy
'Cause you don't think I know what you've done

"But when you call me baby
I know I'm not the only one
And I know, and I know, and I know, and I know, and I know, and I know, know
I know I'm not the only one."

Although the song had come to its closure, Francis still continued to play the melody for a couple of more second before he chocked it down.

"Wow. . ." I said, still amazed by the enchanting music. "I have no idea how you do it, Francis, but you make this song sound so much better than the original one."

The old man laughed. "It was not me who was doing it, dearie, it was you." He pointed his finger at me, making me snort like a hippopotamus.

"Frans, when my teacher played this, it sounded just like any other song - no magic, no nothing." I started as he cracked another smile. "But with you, it sounded like the music had upgraded to a VIP level next to Beyoncé and Adele." A look of confusion crossed his face, which made me continue. "My point is, when you play, it sounds so magical that a witch would be jealous."

He burst out laughing, filling the room with his bright amusement. "You should not underestimate yourself, Elena," he chuckled along with his words. "I may keep the night at its peace, but you awaken it with stars sparkling through the murk. A song does not have a balance without dark and light notes."

Seriously, I was dwelling on if I should ask him if he was related to Shakespeare.

Although I was trying to process his coded compliment, I still smiled at his cryptic words. "Do you wanna help me out with the rest of my homework?" I held up all of the sheets with a sheepish grin.

"Sure, why not?" He mimicked me, receiving a laugh from me.

Ah, who knew that monks could be funny?