Chapter 15 | Music In My Ears

Ethan's P.O.V.

I can't believe I let the girl slip through my fingers like that - again! I was so close, but she was either too smart for us or we were too stupid.

Or both of the options.

"How could we let it happen?" Conner mumbled as he put an ice pack on his shoulder. "I mean, it's a girl we're talking about. A girl for God's sake!"

"Yeah, a ninja girl," Lorenzò 'corrected' before he began to snicker. "I can't believe how fast you got knocked out by her."

"I wasn't knocked out," he protested. "I was knocked to the ground - it's a difference." His words had no effect whatsoever on our smirking Hispanic friend. "At least I wasn't screaming like a sissy about a spider in my hair."

The smile on Lorenzò's face changed into a cold glare. "I don't like spiders, and she happened to be a really good actor."

"Or you happened to be really stupid-"

"Can you guys just shut up for a minute!?" I almost shouted, not bothered to cover up the annoyance displayed in my voice and words.

After we retreated to the castle, these two morons had been fighting nonstop, giving me an unbearable headache. Not only did our mission of finding the girl fail miserably, but we were also hiding in the training room from Mr. W who was looking for us.

And as you can see, I was not in the mood to listen to their childish fights.

"Says the one who didn't even get any near her. . ." Lorenzò muttered under his breath, his words causing the final push towards the edge.

"That's it!" Before he could register what was happening, I pulled out the sword from my sheath with a swift movement. "You asked for it, Belmonte."

The curly-haired boy quickly pulled out his own sword, backing up with a couple of steps to get into a better position. "Bring it on, Bauquemare."

"So, what are we gonna do now?" Conner asked in a disinterested tone, looking at us with a bored expression and having no intention to stop our feud.

"I don't know," I swung my sword at Lorenzò who blocked it, quickly pushing him with the sharp weapon. "I guess we have to look for her tomorrow."

He stumbled but regained his balance quickly. "What about the woods?" The curly-haired boy charged at me as he spoke, "It was there you first met her, right? So maybe we could go and look for her in the forest instead?"

"Wait, what was she doing there in the first place?" Conner asked with furrowed eyebrows, making Lorenzò freeze in the middle of his attack.

"That is a great question." He pointed at us before charging at me again.

"I'm not really sure," I answered, blocking Lorenzò's attacks. "She wasn't exactly walking to the village, more like from it."

The memory surfaced in front of my eyes like a theater play, almost breaking my concentration when I charged at my opponent.

"What if she's living there?" Conner continued, "She must surely have some connection there."

"In the woods? Yeah, she is the guardian of the forest- oh, better yet, a fairy!" Lorenzò exclaimed with his usual satire dripping out of his mouth.

Conner rolled his eyes, and I beat him with my words before he could throw a comment. "Even if she did have some kind of a connection there, it would still be impossible and a waste of time to look for her in that huge forest." I turned my head to give him a quick glance. "Searching the woods would be like looking for the needle in the haystack."

"Well, what else do you suggest then?" Conner replied with a cross of his arms.

Before opening my mouth, I swung my sword at Lorenzò who managed to block it but fell on the floor in the process.

"To continue the search in the village, of course."

"Yes, because that worked so well," he replied sarcastically. "Where did she even go? She can't just have disappeared into the loose air?"

His statement punched our words out of our mouths, making it go silent once again.

Damn, this girl really knows how to mess with people's heads.

"Maybe she disappeared into some alley?" Lorenzò spoke from the floor, a sheepish grin on his lips

"An alley?" Conner repeated while I pulled my friend from the ground. "You know, that's actually not stupid at all." A smile stretched across the Hispanic boy's face, but it was quickly killed by Conner's continuation. "Who are you and what have you done to my friend?"

Lorenzò threw a dirty look at him and began to curse him out in Spanish. "Usted y su cara estúpida puede saltar en un volcán."

Then it hit me like a punch in the face - like music in my ears.

The alley.

My eyes widened in realization, which almost made me hug Lorenzò for igniting the bright idea. Before that fire could go out, I quickly walked over to one of the cabinets, pulling out a map over the village.

"Guys, I think I know where she went." My eyes scanned the old map I laid on the wooden table.

A heavy look of curiosity and confusion crossed Lorenzò's and Conner's faces, both of them were quick to surround the table with the drawing of the village.

"If you think you know where she is, shouldn't we go and look for her?" Conner's eyes glanced between the map and me.

I shook my head. "No, it's too late now," I nodded towards the window where the night had settled. "She's probably home by now."

"Then what are we doing?"

A smirk danced on my face as I pulled out a pencil from one of the drawers. "We are going to plan a trap for the mysterious girl."