Prologue

It's hard leaving things behind. I've always been bad at parting from things. Not necessarily people, but things. Because people can tell you they miss you, people you can see again whenever you want. Things, not so much. So with every possession I throw away, my heart feels heavier. Each of them is a memory, however small, and memories are something to hold dear, right?

I don't much mind being separated from my friends. I, and they too, are old enough to visit anytime. Of course it will be strange not being able to hang out with them, but distance doesn't make or break a friendship, at least I don't think so.

What I will really miss is being open. Humans are very rare here. Mostly because when the town became over populated with wolves, the humans declared it a too dangerous place to live in. It isn't true, of course, but no one was complaining. It meant being open about who we are.

Now, I've gotten so used to running to college on four legs instead of two when I'm late to a lecture, I doubt there is much I can do to shake the habit. Now, whenever I have an urge to just run free, I'll have to repress it.

Also, and I say that in the most respectful way possible, humans suck. They're way too judgemental, which is probably the main reason why they don't understand us.

I remember when mom told me about what it's like to be human. She said most people there aren't bisexual. Apparently, they usually prefer the opposite gender and sometimes the same, but that that is a very unpopular choice. I could never understand that, it just wouldn't make sense. I grew up with the idea that love comes from the person, not their body. But what struck me the most has always been the fact that they are so limited. Only females can become pregnant. Again, absolutely weird. And pitiful, even. As a werewolf, everyone can get pregnant. It's a matter of exchanging body fluids during an orgasm and then a matter of chance to see who is pregnant. It feels harsh that only females can get pregnant when you're human. It's restricting and humiliating to boot.

I shake my head. I've been drifting off again in my dread to live among so many humans.

'Darling, are you ready?'

'Yeah mom, just a second!' I shout back down stairs as I pack the last of my things in boxes. Today all the furniture is being picked up so when we drive over we'll only have to bring our stuff in boxes and the mattress we'll have to share for the last night. It is kind of scary, now that the time is so close, but what can you do? Mom needs me.

When I arrive downstairs, she stands there in a wine red evening gown, her hair flowing beautifully over one of her shoulders and down to her belly. She looks amazing.

When she looks up, her eyes widen and her mouth looks like a circle.

'Oh my! How did I make such a pretty young man? You look fantastic darling!' Her red lips form her glowing smile and I can't help to send one back. She is my rock, as I try to be hers.

Right then, the doorbell rings and two men come in to get our stuff, not without sneaking glances at mom though.

It instantly puts me in a bad mood and I snarl at them, warning them to back off.

They only shrug and continue working.

When they leave, mom and I do too. For the last night, she wanted us to have a nice dinner, with all the luxury we can afford. So I dressed up for her.

We arrive at the restaurant right on time and are guided to a small table at one of the floor length windows looking out into a beautifully decorated back garden.

We laugh and have fun all through the dinner, but when our dessert arrives, mom suddenly goes quiet. I know something is up, so I take one of her hands and make her look up at me. I smile encouragingly, knowing she would never lie to me anyway.

'I'm sorry.' Is all she says before her eyes connect with her untouched mousse again.

'Mom, we've been over this, it's alright, I don't mind, honest.'

We both know I'm lying, but she doesn't point it out either way.

Instead she takes a deep breath and smiles again.

'Okay.'

Again, we both know that she is lying too but it's also a fact that she won't be able to shake it off easily. She feels guilty for ripping me out of my usual environment, even if it was me that's encouraged her to take the job so far away.

'Mom, can you promise me something?' I ask her as we stroll back home for the last time.

'Sure.' She answers without thought. I grin at that. I love the relationship I have with my mother. There's an infinite amount of trust there and I wouldn't have it any other way.

'Enjoy the new place, okay? Don't put yourself down just because you think I'm sulking, yeah?'

Her loud laughter echoes of the building, probably waking half the neighbourhood, but neither of us cares.

'Of course, how could I not. We're a tag team, with you, I'll be at home anywhere.'