Part i. Writing Believable Dialogue

Before we delve right in, first know that dialogue can be written into two forms:

Direct dialogue is handled by double quotation marks, with imitated conversation in single quotes.

"Jillian, don't call me a 'butt face.' It's rude," Manuel scolded.

Indirect dialogue can sometimes work better than direct dialogue. The spoken word might be less effective than a narrative reporting of what's being said. If your prose is strong, it will help carry the scene.

After an hour, I decide to call Aaron and tell him that I can't go today. He says that it's okay. I look at the digits on the letter and dial it. Breathing in and out, I stare at the screen and think for the last time. Closing my eyes, I press the call button. The phone rings several times and I murmur to myself. Don't pick up. Don't pick up.

Then I hear his voice. Deep and curious. "Hello?"

- Excerpt from girl_whobreaths_fire's "The Good Girl Stole My Heart" - chapter 4.

But be careful. I usually advise against this type of dialogue, because if done wrong, your reader might feel like you're simply telling what is happening and not showing, which would allow the reader to experience the scene.

Keep in mind that dialogue doesn't always need to follow the rules of English grammar. It's what works best for your character, your voice, and your overall tone that should matter.

Writing Believable Dialogue

Believable dialogue should sound genuine to the reader. It should have the sound and feel of real people speaking. To write believable dialogue, start listening, really listening to the people around you. Listen to your family, friends, strangers. When you go out shopping, listen to employees talking to each other. When you eat at a restaurant, listen to the other diners talking to each other.

Try to listen to people who are not like you. Notice how their speech patterns are unique. How they use slang and tone along with gestures, props, and body language to convey additional meaning. Do they always talk with their hands? Do they curse too often? Do they keep looking around them, seeming distracted? Listen and take notes.

Dialogue can be easy to write if you have a good ear; however, it can also be so difficult to write because it has so many ways to function.

Writing Genuine Dialogue

Good dialogue not only conveys character but also feels natural.

"She has no right to come here," Emma hissed at him, trying not to disturb the other mourners who were quietly conversing nearby. "She abandoned us! And she hated Grandma Edie. Why the hell would she even want to come?" Her voice rose with a slight tremor. Her hands fisted tightly against the top of her thighs as she took in a shaky breath, further giving away how close she was to the edge of her control.

- Excerpt from JessaMartell's "Untethered" - chapter 1.

Writing Dialogue With Dialect

Writing dialogue in dialect can be a useful way to show the reader your character's background. It can tell a great deal about the character without any narrative to describe her. Used cautiously and sparingly, it can enhance your novel.

But when it is overdone, dialect can become tedious and boring. There's no reason to reiterate a character's dialect in every line of dialogue. Continuing to use dialect every time the character speaks would be like repeating the character's description in each paragraph. It's unnecessary and can distract the reader from the story.

Unique Dialogue for Each Unique Character

By the middle of your novel, your reader shouldn't need attributions (she said) in order to figure out which character said what line. Each character should sound different and distinct from the others.

Here is a list of things to think about when you are choosing the words for a character to say:

• Does she speak in short, concise sentences to get her point across bluntly?

"Haven't you seen me in a gown before?"

• Does she speak in long thoughts, taking her time to make her point through complex sentences?

"Is something the matter, Henry? Am I not flattering in this gown? The invitation did state black-tie. I hope I'm not too underdressed. How embarrassing would it be to show up and not fit in."

• Does she speak in phrases rather than in complete thoughts?

"Too much?"

• Do her word choices reflect her cultural, educational, ethnic, or regional clearly?

"Stop whatever you are doing this instant, Henry. I will not be made out to be a fool by you tonight in front of everyone. Now, tell me how beautiful this gown makes me feel."

• Does she use jargon that is related to her job or expertise?

"Is this too revealing for the campaign fundraiser? All the e-board members, plus the CEO and CFO, will be there tonight, and I don't want to give them the wrong impression about my capabilities."

• Does she use slang?

"Do I look lit, or what?"

• Is her dialogue tense, personal, hostile, or annoying?

"You look great, Henry. Now, can we finally leave already?"

• Does she stay true to her character?

"How do I look? Is it too over the top? Why are you staring at me like that?"

• Would she ever say something like this, or are you making her say what you would say in this particular scene?

"I look amazing, I know. Now stop making googly eyes at me!"

And don't forget the importance of body language or dialogue tags. They can change the whole meaning of dialogue--think irony, for example. I will explain further about these things in another part.

While we reviewed direct and indirect dialogue in this part, the next part will focus on the proper way to format and punctuate direct dialogue.

Please give this part a vote!