[3] Mummy's Boy

Since the day he was born fourteen years prior Laitus Welther had always been different. Unique one might say.

His skin was almost colourless—save the dark bags under his eyes—his shaggy hair light blond and his eyes a clear blue, this gave him an innocent appearance to contrast with destructive nature. On occasion, he could be calm, and speak loving words. But more often than not he was a foul-mouthed, raunchy brat, and much to his mother's annoyance he could never remember much of these transitions, nor control them.

Laitus lived with his step-mother, a generally lively woman with fiery ginger hair and deep maroon eyes; her name was Girna. Girna seemed to love the son of her late husband, he was all she had left, and though his tendency to speak hurtfully would often get under her skin it was still her duty to care for him. However that was not the case, beneath the surface of her façade she was ready to burst. This troublesome child was what she had been abandoned with. Just last year she'd lost her true daughter and the man she loved and this unruly child never ceased to be a handful.

"If it wasn't against father's last wishes I'd burn down this hell-hole, down to ashes in a heartbeat." Laitus spoke nonchalantly, playing with a glass of water as he sat at the dining table. His crude personality showing its face for the night. Girna ground her teeth together silently but did not speak as she took a seat opposite him.

"And don't get me started on my psychiatrist, mother. He's more interested in what's in your wallet than your pants," he laughed resting his head in his hand, "you must be truly desperate."

"Now Lai, what have I asked of you?" Girna asked smiling in frustration. Laitus looked back at her with half-lidded eyes, his lips stretching open to reveal his teeth in a twisted grin.

"Mother if I may say," he paused, his tone surprisingly sweet. He stood up leaning over the table until their faces almost touched, "don't address me by that name, you whore." Girna sighed and sat in silence for the rest of her meal. Laitus making mocking insults towards her as he poked at the food on his plate, he never ate in front of others after his father passed.

***

The floor boards creaked as she crept along, a sewing box in hand. "Get out of here now you stupid tramp!" He'd yelled at her, pushing her from his room by the back of the neck. It was the first time Laitus had taken hand to her, it seemed as if there was a spark of something else in the reckless boy's eyes. She'd tried to come into his room but he'd been so opposed to it, she hadn't been in his room for a year. She hadn't loved that wretched child for a year.

She was trembling, her patience having snapped from sitting silently to dwell on her own thoughts. She couldn't stand the boy, she wasn't the mother of that infernal defect of a child. Cautiously she opened his bedroom door to find him fast asleep. He had a doleful look on his face and his bottom lip quivered as he tightly clutched a faded brown bear to his chest. He looked peaceful, innocent. Like a babe lamb.

Opening the sewing box she held she grabbed the needle and thread she'd picked out earlier. Her eye twitched with excitement as she let the kit drop from her hands and clatter to the wooden ground. Yet it didn't cause the child to as much as stir in his sleep. Stalking towards him with a sudden rush she climbed atop his form, finally waking the boy.

"Mumma? What are you doing?" He mumbled softly, rubbing his eyes sleepily and shaking his mane of pure blond hair. Tears cascaded down her face as she hushed and cooed at him, her emotions getting the better of her. Mumbling sweet words she brought the needle nearer and nearer to his terrified face.

"Mumma! No!" He begged through cries attempting to throw her from him, only to screech as she jabbed the needle through his upper-lip, beginning to sew shut his mouth. Laitus felt powerless as he sobbed beneath her, thrashing his legs about at the horrible pain that ran through his face.