Chapter One

Tayla groaned at the flashing neon sex glowing through the windshield when the self-driving car pulled into the narrow stall

          Tayla groaned at the flashing neon sex glowing through the windshield when the self-driving car pulled into the narrow stall. The billboard was alight with the new advertisement for x-ray Power Uppers. The blonde woman on the sign couldn't be happier with the man seeing through her clothes. As the sign flickered between scenes, the last one ended with the woman pulling the man into bed, Tayla groaned again.

"Because nothing says doctor's office like the sweet glow of neon porn in the parking structure," she said, glancing to her mom. "Superpowers are for assholes."

"Tayla!"

"Well they are." Tayla shrugged. "If Supers didn't constantly steal, Normies wouldn't need superpowers to begin with. Thus Power Uppers wouldn't exist. Ergo, superpowers are for assholes. In what world is giving someone the ability to see through things a good idea?"

"Watch your language!"

"Oh come on, mom. I'm almost sixteen. I'm old enough to die for my country, vote for the useless nimrod controlled by the Pharmaceutical Companies, and pop superpower drugs like it's going out of style. So I think I'm old enough to curse."

"Keyword in the statement is almost." Tayla's mom pulled a bottle out of her purse. She stared at the label and frowned. "You're almost sixteen. So long as you're under my roof—"

"—You'll live by my rules," Tayla mocked. "Geez, get a new line. Mom's have been using that one for several millennia."

Her mom shook her head, opening the bottle and pouring out a single pill onto her palm. Tayla watched her toss the pill into her throat and swallow without aid of water. She was prone to migraines, Tayla often watched her take pills like they were candy, but that didn't make it fun to see.

"Is this one of those teenage rebellions I've heard so much about?"

"That depends."

"On?"

"On if I can get my tongue pierced."

"Absolutely not! Be thankful I let you dye your hair the weird colors you like."

Tayla pumped the air with her fist. "Then yes, yes it is. You're ruining my life, damn the man, fight the power, viva la revolution!"

"Oh good. I feared I'd go through life not having a child to rebel against me. What is it the kids say these days? Achievement unlocked?"

Tayla rolled her eyes. "That's so twenty-first century, mom. This is the twenty-second century. We say snapdidle whacked out to the max."

"Right, because that sounds so much better. Is that even English? Car, power off."

"Powering off," the cars soft robotic voice responded. The purr of the engine halted as the car stilled.

"Come on, Tayla. We'll be late for your check-up." She opened the door and swung one leg outside.