Chapter 13

—-Vivian—-

"Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!"

I just had to say it to him. I think I need to be put in an asylum.

I'm currently beating myself up with a pillow. I am beyong mortified. How can I look at him again? I know we've been friends since like forever, but not once have I ever said that to him. Or any other man, if we're being completely honest here. What am I going to do?

I jumped out of my bed and marched right up to the full length mirror.

"Here's what you're going to do, Vivian. You will act as if nothing happened. You will be happy and go on with life. Yeah, that's what you'll do." I said confidently.

"But what if he knows? That's a good thing right? That way I won't have to tell him because he already knows! But what if he thought I meant it in a friendly way or maybe he just felt really bad for me." I pondered that last one.

"No, Rich never feels sorry for anyone. He probably thinks I'm a mess of pent up emotions. Yeah, I'll say that. 'Hey, Rich, sorry about that last night. I was overwhelmed with my oh so depressing life' Yeah, that sounds about right."

Oh. My. God. I'm talking to myself now. My life is over.

I leaned my head against the cool mirror. I really do need help.

"Viv? You alright in there? I thought I heard someone talking."

I jolted and brushed through my hair with my fingers. Yeah, it didn't help. My hair was all scrunchy and my face looked beyond tired.

"Yeah, I'm good over here. Just uh talking on the phone. Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I'll be right out." I said as I gathered clothes for a shower.

"Alright, I'll make us some breakfast." Rich said happily.

I turned the knob in the shower all the way to hot. I was never a fan of the cold.

Well, while I'm in here I might as well think about my life. That's what people do in the shower, right?

Rich never left last night. After my mental breakdown, he insisted on staying. A little part of me was thrilled that he had chose to stay with me rather than go back to Alise. But the female in me felt bad for taking him from her.

Who am I kidding? I was on top of the world when he stayed.

He, being the gentleman he is, took the couch. I would have offered the other half of bed, but seeing as the situation involved him, I didn't want to push myself farther into the black hole. And here he is. In my apartment, consoling me. Was he the best or what?

Then there's Steven. Ah, Steven. He's a total sweetheart and I know I don't deserve him. He was supposed to be my key to moving forward. He was funny, and down to earth, and just all around perfect. But was that really enough?

Alise. A word that should be permanently band in the English language. I disliked her with a passion.

I scrubbed my hair roughly. As the water rinsed the shampoo out, I looked down as it went down the drain in bubbles.

Out of all the girls in the world, he had to choose her.

I stepped out the shower and wrapped the towel around my body. I wiped the foggy mirror with my hand and opened the drawers, trying to find some makeup. My face needed some serious color.

After dressing in simple capris and a tank top, I left the safety of my room. I smelt something burning and quickened my pace.

"What's going on?" I asked as I fanned the air in front of me.