34

"There you are," Finn said once he saw me at the end of the hallway. He met me halfway before turning back to walk beside me. "What was all of the commotion about?"

"One of the cabin boys got sick," I said without missing a beat. "It wasn't pretty."

"I'd imagine not," he chuckled a little. "That was very nice of you to come and help. I'm sure whoever it was was grateful for the assistance."

"Yeah," I told him with a shrug. Wanting to direct him towards another topic of conversation, I asked him about the only other thing we had in common, "Princess Cecelia seemed pretty nice. Didn't she say something about you two being cousins?"

"She did," he nodded. "My father is the brother of the King. It was enough to grant us the titles of Lords and Ladies, and unfortunately, it was also enough to put me through insufferably long etiquette lessons."

"Is that where you learned to dance?"

"It was," he chuckled and stopped walking, causing me to halt as well. He grabbed both of my hands in his as he continued speaking. "You know, I've been thinking about that."

"About what?" I asked as I looked down at our hands. I wasn't sure how I felt about him grabbing them like that without my permission.

"I never got the second dance you promised me."

I arched an eyebrow, "I don't recall agreeing to anything of the sorts."

"That's okay," he said as he took a step closer to me. I automatically took a step back, but realized too late that the wall was only a short distance behind me. He had me cornered. Finn let go of my hands and opted instead to place them on the wall at either side of me, cutting off any escape. He leaned in slowly to whisper in my ear, "I think I know how you can make it up to me."

His breath on my skin sent shivers down my spine, and I couldn't quite determine if they were good or bad ones. Either way, he noticed and seemed to be pleased. He pulled back with a smirk on his face.

"Wh-What are you doing?" I questioned, grappling for words that were just out of reach. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't remember how to move. I was frozen.

"What I've wanted to do since I first saw you in that ballroom," he whispered into the small space between us. Before I could even process his words, he was leaning forward. He was getting closer and closer to me. Soon there wouldn't be any space left. He was only inches away. And then, suddenly, he was not.

Phineas was yanked away from me like an overly excited dog on a leash. A quick glance up revealed the impatient owner.

It was Jay.

He stood angrily with a fistful of Phineas's shirt as he shouted at the man. "You don't touch her, you filthy little eel!"

"I don't see her complaining," Finn smirked.

"Shut the hell up," Jay growled.

"Or what?" Phineas baited him. "What are you going to do to me? You have no crew, no ship, and you damn well don't have her. You're pathetic, Jeremiah Jackson. I can't believe you even call yourself a pirate."

And then Jay punched him. Hard. In the temple. Finn crumpled upon impact. He was unconscious, that was for sure. I looked up at Jay and suddenly remembered how to breathe again. Large gulps of air entered my lungs as I replayed what had just happened.

"I'm sorry," he shook his head and took a step back from the unconscious man, "I shouldn't have- I just- I can't stand the thought of him being anywhere near you. And I-"

And then I did kiss him. I reached up, grabbed a fistful of his shirt, and pulled his lips down to meet mine. He was shocked, to say the least, but once I wound my arms around his neck, I could feel his shoulders start to relax and his lips start to move in sync with mine. His hands found my lower back on their own, and before I knew it, he was pulling me flush against his chest. I could vaguely feel my fingers weave into his hair as his own found my cheek.

I wish I could say this was my first kiss, but it wasn't. That belonged to a boy named Benny Wilder, and let me tell you, it was nothing like this.

This was- this was indescribable.

It lasted forever, but ended all too soon. I pulled away from him with a goofy grin plastered across my face.

"He lied," I whispered into the space between us. I was almost afraid that my voice would shatter the moment if it was any louder than that.

"What?" Jay breathed as he looked down at my lips, his right thumb lightly brushing my cheekbone.

"He lied," I said again. "You may not have a crew, but you do have me."

He laughed a little and kissed me again. It was shorter this time, but just as sweet.

"We should probably go before he wakes up," he said.

I nodded and looked down at the unconscious man on the floor, "Yeah. Thank you for all of that, by the way. I sort of froze back there."

"No problem," he smiled, also looking down at his handiwork, "It was my pleasure."

I smirked and grabbed his hand, pulling him towards the stairs leading above deck.

"Wait," he said, turning his head back, "I need that crate I dropped. I still have to work off my passage on this ship."

"Right," I said, letting go of his hand, "I already forgot." I peered back down the hall for a moment before looking back at him with a playful smirk, "I guess I'll see you topside then, Mr. Jackson. Once you've finished up your chores, that is."

He grumbled something in response as he made his way back down the narrow hallway. I watched him for a few moments before heading up into the sunlight, smiling to myself.

I just kissed Jeremiah Jackson.

------+-----+------

A/N

Is it hot in here or is it just me?

Early update for all of my patient readers! You guys ROCK!

How did you like this chapter?

Did Finn deserve to be punched?

What would you have done?

I love hearing feedback from you guys, so please feel free to vote and comment! Thanks for the read and stay tuned for the next chapter!

-Megan