Rick does Romance

~1 November 1840~

Outside, I see Karim next to the little black chase.

"Karim!" I shout. I was wondering where he was. I haven't seen him since we got back from the jungle.

"Woman-who-is-worse-than-Ifrit." He nods at me. "I am glad to see you have on appropriate clothing." He whispers as I pass him.

I stick my tongue out. Karim and I have always had the most interesting relationship.

I get into the chase, and Mr Ambrose follows after me.

He knocks on the roof of the carriage and we set off.

"Where are we going, sir?" I ask when we set off in the opposite direction of the Empire House.

His jaw twitches.

"Well, Mrs Ambrose," he looks at me and I shiver. Mrs Ambrose. That's me now. I try to suppress a smile. "Your uncle and I came to an agreement." He keeps looking at me, but doesn't continue.

"What do you mean?" He stares at me, eyes roaming all over me. I take a shuddering breath. "What kind of agreement, sir?" I prompt.

We turn onto a small road, one that isn't big enough to fit two carriages. I've never been this way before.

"He agreed that if I...paid...for the wedding, that he would...buy us this." He leans over me and opens the curtain. I gasp when I see a house at the end of the road. It's about the same size as my aunt and uncle's house. There's a small garden next to it and flowers line the path that leads to the blue door.

"Are you joking?"

"How many times have we gone over this, Mrs Ambrose." He leans in until his lips brush against mine. "I do not make jokes."

"We have a house?"

"Can you not see the house sitting right there, or are you still obsessed with the ridiculous notion that I might be joking?"

"We have a house." I still can't wrap my mind around this. "And my Uncle paid for it."

"I just said that. Stop wasting time and listen the first-"

"Well what are we waiting in here for? Let's go inside!" I hop over him-though not very gracefully considering the fact that I'm still in my wedding dress-and it gets caught, causing me to fall backwards across his lap.

I look up at him in shock and notice the hungry look in his eyes. He places his hands under my arms and gently slides me out of the carriage. Once he gets out, faster than lightning, he puts one hand under my knees, the other on my back and picks me up.

"Mr Amb-Rick, what are you doing?" I gasp. I throw my arms around his shoulders to keep myself from falling.

He looks in my eyes and starts walking to the house.

"I'm carrying my bride over the threshold. It's very romantic, I've been told it's something new couples do."

My mouth opens in shock. Mr Rikkard Ambrose, engaging in romantic activities? First he stutters, now this! What is the world coming to?

"Karim, open the door." He says after he fails to reach the doorknob for a couple seconds. Even through the many layers of my dress I can still feel his hand fumbling around, searing on my thigh like it was touching my skin.

     Karim appears from behind us and unlocks the door, then steps aside and bows to Mr Ambrose.

"Is that all, Sahib?" He asks. Mr Ambrose gives a curt nod and Karim disappears as quickly as he got here.