Chapter 25

Friday finally came and Mrs. Harber had just packed in their last bag for their trip that afternoon. Sophie was getting into her warm fleece pink coat and red boots, when Ria entered the kitchen with her small suitcase.

"Your toothbrush's in the second zip and the rest of your cosmetics are in the third," Ria said as she rolled the suitcase over to her. "Anything else I missed?"

"Nope," Sophie shook her head, "Except a good luck hug."

"Of course, how could I miss that!" Ria smiled before giving the small girl a big hug.

"Thanks Ria," Mrs. Harber acknowledged. Then they saw Hayne enter the kitchen from the backdoor.

"All packed up for the North Pole?" he teased, looking at the big coat on Sophie. "Haha....you looking forward to your first interstate ballet competition?"

"Uh-huh," Sophie nodded.

"She is excited. And it is gonna be cold in Broxon. That's why we bringing our coats," Mrs. Harber replied.

"So when does your flight leave?" he asked. "Better get going now or you might miss it."

"You're not trying to get rid of us already, are you?" his mother said with a suspicious look as she grabbed the bags from the counter.

"No way," Hayne smiled nervously.

"Our flight leaves at 7.55pm but the girls have to be at the airport for roll call at 6.30," Mrs. Harber answered.

"And Dad?"

"He's not gonna be back until Sunday. He had to extend his stay and shift the booking on his flight," she answered, "I hope you're not planning to wreck this house over the weekend, Hayne Harber."

"I'm just bringing over the guys for a little wind down after the game tonight, mom. And it's not like we're gonna be having anything in here. We'll be using the pool house," Hayne assured.

"Okay," Mrs. Harber gave another one of her suspicious looks. "But I'm leaving Ria in charge."

"Wait-what?" Hayne stuttered. "Her?"

"Me?" Ria asked in surprise.

"Yes. Ria darling, you will notify me if anything, and I mean if anything, goes wrong. Okay?"

"Uh......sure, Mrs. Harber," Ria nodded, before glancing at Hayne's frown.

"Best of luck in your game tonight, honey. I'm sorry we won't be there to see you score a try," she came up to give Hayne a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks mom. It's okay," he turned his frown back into a smile.

"Alright, bye guys," she waved before exiting the kitchen with Sophie.

"Byeee..." Sophie waved. Ria followed them out to the driveway where they got into the car. Danny closed the car boot right after he placed Sophie's small suitcase in. Then he jumped into the driver's seat and drove them away to the airport. Ria looked back to the house, then she saw Hayne come out with his gym bag in one arm.

"Hey, um.....do you want me to whip up anything for dinner if you get back early?" Ria nervously asked.

"I won't be back till nine," Hayne stubbornly answered, "And I'm gonna bring more than a mouth to feed. So don't bother."

"I just thought that-" Ria tried to be nice, but he didn't give her another glance before getting into his car. He started his engines and drove out of the driveway, leaving Ria all alone to that big house.

A few hours later, Ria was sitting in the study room downstairs with some weekend homework in front of her. With her elbows on the table and fingers on her phone she was chatting with Cat and catching up with her life. Cat then requested for a video call, so Ria swiped to accept and she saw her old friend appear on her screen.