one hundred fifty five

Finah: i found her

Mila: where is she???

Finah: let me talk to her. i'll bring her home, i promise.

Mila: okay.

ManiBear: meet up at mila's for when she gets back?

Allysus: yeah. i can make dinner and we can just be there for her.

Mila: alright, see everyone soon

---

Dinah shuts off her phone, taking a few cautious steps towards Lauren. She wasn't sure if Lauren had noticed her presence, her eyes staring blankly over the pond below as her feet dangled limply over the edge of the branch she was sat on. Dinah doesn't say anything as she begins to climb, taking a seat next to her green-eyed friend. If Lauren is surprised by her presence, she doesn't show it.

Dinah glances at Lauren, opening and closing her mouth as she tries to find the words to say. Lauren fails to notice Dinah's inward struggle to speak, continuing to stare blankly ahead. Finally, Dinah settles with something simple just to hopefully get her talking. "Are you okay?"

Lauren's doesn't move save for her eyes shifting over to look at Dinah, a look of deep-rooted sadness visible in the tears brimming her eyes. She doesn't say anything for the longest time, resting her head on Dinah's shoulder and taking a deep breath. "I just never thought they'd go through with it, you know?

"You don't realize that you're living in ignorant bliss until the problem is facing you head-on." She continues after a moment, reaching a hand up to wipe away a stray tear. Dinah wraps a protective arm around Lauren, kissing her head lightly to try and comfort her. "I knew this was coming. I fucking grew up with it..." Lauren leans forward to rest her face in her hands. "I did everything I could to keep Taylor and Chris from noticing. Guess I can't do anything about it now..."

"They were gonna find out eventually. I'm sure they already knew. When people fall out of love... you just kind of know, you know?" Dinah turns to face Lauren, pulling her hands away from her face. "But none of this is anyone's fault. They just don't love each other anymore, and if separating and opening the door for new people will make them happier, there's nothing you can really do about it."

"It's just... it's... I don't think you understand, D." Lauren fumbles over her words, ducking her head. "This has been going on for so long. They were always arguing when I was younger, and even recently I would get phone calls late at night from Chris because he wanted to talk to get his mind off of all the yelling he'd been listening to. You have no idea how badly I wanted to bring him to West Palm along with Taylor, Lucy and I. But he has a job in Miami and he refused to quit, so it felt like I was leaving him behind.

"And sure, they put on smiles and act all lovey outside of our house, or when we're all in the same room together, but it's fake. It's always been fake. I don't know why they kept trying for so long."

"Because, Laur... when you've been together so long and you have kids and a life surrounding that other person... sometimes it's hard to let go even if you want to. It's all you've known, and you can't imagine changing it because change is scary and nobody likes to be scared." Dinah laments.

"I just..." Lauren looks up at the branches above, trying to hold back anymore tears. "I don't want that to happen to me. I don't want to see me and Camzi arguing in the kitchen late at night, or one of us getting drunk and saying something hurtful we both try to ignore but it's just always there and you can't escape it. I don't want that for me and Camzi, Dinah, I just... I can't let that happen, I—"

"Lauren! Lauren." Dinah grabs Lauren's hand when she notices Lauren's breathing has gotten heavier, wanting to bring her back to reality before she can slip too far away. "That's not going to happen to you and Mila. You guys love each other, and trust each other. And I know neither of you ever wants to hurt the other. So even if you fall out of love — which, as the captian of the ship, I know for a fact will never happen — I know you'd work it out before it can hurt too many people. But like I said, that's never ever going to happen, because you're both so in love that it's actually disgusting. Just because your parents weren't happy doesn't mean you're doomed to have a failed relationship too. This isn't something that can be passed down through genetics, Laur. You and Mila are fine."

Lauren doesn't say anything, just looks at Dinah for a long time before pulling her into a hug. "Thanks, D. Who knew you were so smart?"

"I'm gonna ignore that because you're crying and I can see it's not the time to get into an argument about how smart I am." Dinah jokes. "But no problem, Laur. So, you good?"

"I think so." Lauren pulls back, wiping tears from her cheeks. "I kind of walked here, so I hope you brought a car."

"Nah, I walked too. Well, kind of ran. And that's how you know I was worried, I never run." Dinah smiles when Lauren lets out a laugh, glad to see the happy expression on her face again. "But I think the walk will be good for you."

"Yeah, me too. Is Camzi home? I wanna kiss her a lot." Lauren confesses, climbing down the tree ahead of Dinah.

"Yeah, you gay ass." Dinah teases.

"Oh, and uh, Dinah?"

"Hm?"

"You're important to me. I hope I never lose you."

"You're important to me, too, girl."

***