Chapter 19

Milo would have asked if they had made his grandfather sick as well, but he supposed if Carlton had any proof of that, he would say so.

"Which worked. You became Alpha. You were young, impressionable and the innocent Marlan gained your sympathy," Carlton said, as if that was a great thing. "They were welcomed into the pack and left matters to take their own course," he continued, looking much more intrigued in the tale than Milo felt he should be. But he didn't bother saying anything about it. He shut his mouth and listened.

"Once you and Katarina had mated," he said, only to stop and offer a consoling smile. "Again I'm sorry for how rude it sounds;" he apologised. "It was clear to the whole pack, the night you presented yourself for the hunt. Everyone there knew that you were mated," he explained, with an amused, but apologetic smile. "So whether Nathaniel knew directly or not is inconsequential; he would have known from Marlan's thoughts."

Milo was following so far, so he nodded to let Carlton know that he was with him. Everything seemed to make enough sense to be true.

"I believe that is how he is keeping out of the picture. He is using Marlan as his eyes and ears within the pack. And around you," he said, gravely, with more than a hint of warning. "The strangers were simply placed here to take advantage of any opportunity that might arise. If they came across you and Katarina, they were to ensure that you felt empathy and sympathy for her...to create and stabilize the bond," he reasoned, making his point crystal clear.

"It wouldn't have been hard, once they had weakened your father, to search his thoughts and discover Katarina's secret knowledge - that you were intended to be mates. Which only confirmed their theory and solidified their plans," Carlton looked quite excited as he went on to say more.

Milo guessed that he'd had a while to let the thoughts percolated and the more excited he was, the more convinced he was of the truth.

"The fact that you were already mated when you captured the three strangers was inconsequential. You had mated and that was all they cared about. They wanted Katarina pregnant with this prophesied son," he continued, making him feel a little queasy.

It was one thing to talk impartially about Katarina being pregnant with his child, but it was quite another doing it with her father. And that was where Milo stopped him. He was confused about something. "But Katie says that 'first born son' doesn't actually mean the first child. It could be or it might just mean the first son," he explained their little argument from that morning.

Carlton nodded, beaming even more. "Exactly, but they haven't realised that. Which is why I knew we had time. Until you announce a pregnancy, they won't make a move to actually kill you. They need you alive to create this son," he said, sounding excited.

"And Leo?"

"I'm afraid that is exactly as Katarina believes. Simply another misdirection. Like the three strangers," he clarified, losing his smile. "It was an opportunity they couldn't afford to lose. If all else failed, you and Katarina would die, along with your Beta, from insanity," he shrugged as he spoke. "Marlan would be made Alpha on the belief that your people were infected by some deadly instability."

Nathaniel had certainly been thorough with his plans, if not entire sane himself. But then, rejection and a sense of betrayal did funny things to an Alpha.

"The fact that Leo's true mate is another daughter of mine would have been like honey to the bee, for Nathaniel," Carlton revealed, with big sad eyes that reminded him so much of his mate.

Milo held back a smile; it was inappropriate, considering the conversation.

"Another way to hurt me and, by hurting Leo, it was another way to hurt you and Katarina," he continued, breaking the spell.

"So all he really wants is Katarina pregnant, so that Marlan can unite with her and be the 'father' to my all powerful son. And he's doing anything and everything he can to secure that?" Milo summarized when he had understood from everything Carlton had told him.

"Yes. It is much simpler when you put it that way, but I'm afraid I'm a natural narrator," Carlton apologised, only for Milo to shake his head.

It didn't matter. It was good to know the history, especially if it was the reason everything was happening. But there was only one solution he could see actually working. And before he had thought it through, the words fell out of his mouth.

"Alright, then let's announce that Katie's pregnant."

Bricia made her first show of interest since joining them in the study, raising her head and watching Milo carefully.

Carlton was a little stunned, so Milo decided to explain what he was thinking and why it should be effective.

"Let's tell everyone that Katie's pregnant and set a trap for when they try to kill me. Everyone knows she's in heat," he admitted, trying hard not to apologise for that. "Leo won't stop talking about it and the whole pack saw it when we went on the hunt. Heck, she might actually be pregnant for all I know," he confessed. They had been so crazy for each other since their initial mating, it wasn't unlikely that she might truly be pregnant and it wouldn't be a lie.

Carlton considered it for a moment. "Yes...well...I suppose it would expedite things, wouldn't it?" he agreed.

"And let us catch them red handed. All we need to do is have Katie and I united before we spring the trap. Just in case," He clarified that there was one thing left to do before they set the trip.

"Are you trying to ensure that Katarina is made Alpha, if anything happens to you?" Carlton asked, with a raised eyebrow. Which, to Milo, wasn't a choice. It was obvious.

"Yes. I want her safe and secure. Besides, if this is true then you can fix my dad, right?" he asked.

"Oh, absolutely," Carlton agreed.

"And Leo?"

"Yes," he confirmed. "I have a potion ready for your Beta," he explained.

Milo shrugged; the whole thing seemed natural to him. "Then, if anything happens to me, they'll both be here and be strong enough to look after her," he reasoned.

If anything happened to him, Katarina would go insane with grief. Especially if she was really pregnant. But considering death by insanity was a real possibility if they didn't act, it seemed a sensible plan.

"You are very brave, Milo. Foolish, but brave," Carlton smiled and Milo laughed.

"Thanks. I think."