Chapter 21

Katarina and Carlton had a lot to talk about, so while they left them to catch up, Milo and Leo put things back to normal.

The mattress was returned to the guest room and Milo saw Bricia into the room she would have for the night. They set up another guest room for Carlton and gave Grene a call, to let him know that Carlton had arrived, but the situation wasn't yet resolved. That would have to wait for morning. Everyone needed to think and figure out what they were going to do with themselves.

Leo was tired after taking his concoction, so he helped Milo take Oswine back up to his room and left him reading by the window for a while, before Leo turned in for the night.

Milo was a bit shattered himself, so he returned downstairs to find Katarina curled up on the sofa, in Carlton's arms. It brought a smile to his face, to see her so happy to be with her father.

"Milo, I have the potion for your father. I prepared it before I left. But I'd like to have a word with him before I administer it," Carlton explained as soon as he walked into the room.

Milo nodded his agreement. It seemed sensible enough. "Do you want me to show you his room?" he offered, only to be surprised when Carlton shook his head in a polite refusal.

"Sweetheart, do you mind?" he asked Katarina to let go, smiling when she moved away and let him get up. "No thank you. I've been here before. Grene used to show me around the village on my visits, when Katarina was just a little cub," he smiled back at his daughter fondly, before walking over to where Milo stood. "I think she's very tired, Milo. The emotional toil has been too much. Take her to bed. We will talk tomorrow," he offered, before leaving the room.

Milo wasn't sure if he approved of that kind of suggestion. Did he want his mate's father telling him to take her to bed? No, it sounded weird. And he was smart enough to know that she was exhausted for himself. But he figured he would give Carlton some slack. It couldn't have been easy reconnecting with his first born daughter after so many years.

"Katie, let's go to bed. You're shattered," he sighed, holding his hand out for hers. She gave it willingly, while using the sleeve of her jumper to wipe away her tears.

They walked up the stairs and into the bedroom in a pleasant silence, holding hands. He let go of her, to let her get changed and removed his own clothes. The sleep Carlton had interrupted was demanding attention.

"Milo," Katarina's voice was soft as she walked back into the room in one of his t-shirts. He slipped into bed and watched her as she lazily crawled across him and onto her own side of the bed. "Did I tell you how much I love you today?" she asked, sleepily.

Milo smiled fondly and fought off a yawn as he thought about it. They had shared a lot of passion that morning. As far as he could recall, he wasn't the only one who had said the L word, though Katarina had been rather busy being breathless.

"Tell? I think you did...once. Show...well, that's another matter entirely," he teased her. They were both still under the incredibly strong attraction of true mates, even after being mated to one another. Their union would probably settle their need into something less insistent and constant. But he wasn't in any hurry.

"Even exhausted you are still the horniest boy I know," his little wolf scolded him with a giggle.

He loved the sound, but he loved the way she curled up against his body even more. It felt good to have her back in his arms. "It's a God given talent," he claimed cheekily.

***

Carlton walked into Oswine's bedroom and closed the door behind him. He could already feel the prickles of dislike seeping under his skin. He hadn't been this close to the man in a long time and his instincts and wolf were not enjoying the experience.