Chapter 2

Everyone stood and then went back to their business. Beuren turned and saw her mother, she held her hand out and smiled softly. Beuren took her index finger and they finished their route home. Vanya led them into the backroom, there hung two dresses. One was red, very form fitting, long, and silk, Vanya’s dress. The second was light blue, fitted to the middle, also silk, it had a light violet sash around the middle that tied into a bow in the back, and the skirt was blue tulle.

Vanya slipped into her dress, Beuren helped her lace up the back. Beuren dressed, and her mother tied the sash. The bow was perfect, no one could tie a bow like Beuren’s mother, and for that the young girl took pride. Her mother sat her down on a stool and started braiding her hair. Half of her hair went up into a traditional elven braid; the other half fell to her shoulder blades, silky straight. Her mother braided the ribbons into her hair, keeping the mask on, in order to take it off; she would have to untie her hair. It was smart, she paid a lot for that mask, losing it would be a bit of an issue.

 Meanwhile, on the other side of town, inside the dwarven city of Erebor, a young boy was getting ready as well. His mother knocked entering the room. She smiled and helped him tuck his shirt in and tie his hair back. Clumsily he slipped on his boots, almost falling over. He pushed his pant legs into his boots and stood up, tightening his belt. He looked up at his mother; she smiled and pulled out his mask. His mask was made of the lightest of metal. It covered the top half of his face, resting at his hair line, at the very top, the metal had been carved like a crown, detailed with gold and silver paint, small jewels had been worked into the design, and all together the mask was quite fitting for the young dwarf prince.

“Thorin dear, stop fidgeting.” He looked up at his mother and nodded, another knock at the door made them both turn to see who entered, Thrain, Thorin’s father, smiled at the two of them.

“Everyone is here, are you ready?” His mother lowered her mask off her brow and took Thrain’s arm.

“Shall we?” She laughed, holding a hand out for Thorin to hold. He took her hand and followed. The music began as soon as they entered, everyone clapped and cheered. Thror came in behind them, more clapping and cheering. Thrain and his wife took the first dance. Thorin let his gaze wander around the room, in the corner he saw two younger dwarves, they were the sons of Fundin. Dwalin’s dark black hair had been tied back, he was watching the crowd, as was custom for him, as Thorin knew. The dwarf prince could have sworn he saw the white of book pages from inside the edge of Balin’s cloak, which he had pulled in front of him, occasionally looking down to turn a page, he cagut Thorin’s gaze and winked, putting a finger to his lips, telling him to keep it a secret. Thorin nodded nad looked back at the crowd, several other people had joined in the dancing now, more people joined every second.