26

Here's a random double update because you guys are awesome and make me want think about this story 24/7 and type away all day long xx

________________________

"They can fix my eyes?" Nate nearly chokes out

Lucy unclasps one of her hands and waves it in the air. Tim lays his hand on Nate's shoulder as she does so. "I shouldn't say that, but there's high chance that this could approve your sight to almost being 20/20. Those are high odds, Natty. The procedure is the safest we have yet to see and the doctors seem to think very positive about it."

I think the gears in my brain have grinded to a halt. Procedure? Nate has talked about possibilities but he has never confirmed one.

"When?" Nate asks. There's a smile that could ignite the sun itself, so bright I have to look away. My eyes roam the faces of his loved ones, all equally happy about the news. Even little Charlotte is jumping for joy as she still clings to my leg.

"We can schedule it as early as next week," Tim answers, gripping Nate's shoulder again. His lips are pressed together as if he is trying not to cry in front of his children. "Of course, there will have to be a pre examination to make sure things are up to par but by next month once the bandages are gone--Oh man, look out world!"

"And right before college, man. Couldn't have been better timing," Christopher adds while he balances against the wall.

As if the wind blew a cloud, the sun dims, and gone is Nate's smile. What was going through his head?

"Let's set up the appointment."

"Yeah?" Lucy exclaims, leaning against her husband for emotional support.

Nate nods and reaches behind him, his hand searching. His hand searching for me. I grab onto him and he pulls me up to meet his side. Without thinking, I press my lips to his clothed shoulder, breathing in his scent that makes my head dizzy.

How amazing is this? Nate could possibly get his sight back. In full! This was no longer just talk, it is really happening.

A lazy smile plasters on Nate's face as he bends to the side and kisses my hair, doing the same by pressing his nose to my head and inhaling. My hands tighten around his upper arm.

"Jeesh, Mom. Why wasn't this in your weekly letters?" I know Nate's big brother means this as friendly banter but it doesn't stop the blush from covering both mine and Nate's cheeks.

Nate playfully flips Christopher off which makes his mother gasp in horror and cover Charlotte's eyes. Christopher returns the favor which makes Tim laugh wholeheartedly.

"Pretty soon you'll be able to see me do that right back, brother."

"Enough of that," Lucy scolds with a mothering look. "There's cake in kitchen your nurses sent us as a goodluck treat."