Chapter 2: Return Trip

Xavier's POV

I'm in a sullen mood and Alex, my beta, alongside his twin Aiden, my gamma, aren't all sunshine and rainbows either. We have traveled away for five years forming pack relations with other packs around the world and some closer to home while our parents, the former leaders, looked over the pack.

It also provided us with the opportunity to search for our soulmates. Truthfully, I am disappointed, but I still wanted to show my pack that I am strong and determined.

We took some pack members with us and most of the older wolves found their mates. They chose to either stay with their mates' pack or bring their mates back with us and initiate them into ours.

I am the Alpha of The Blood Moon Pack, the most revered pack in America which proudly boasts our fierce strength, wisdom and loyalty. It has been six years since I turned 18 and I have yet to find my other half, it makes me disgruntled because as I settle more into my position as alpha, I can't help but feel a part is missing. It gets hard some days where the questions of: 'How much longer does the Moon Goddess want me to wait? Am I even destined to be blessed with one?', plague my mind and fill me with unsettling feelings. I tried to shut them out as I closed my eyes and rest my head against the headrest.

We're all driving back to our pack house and we still have a few days' worth of driving to cover. Alex, Aiden, and I are in one SUV driving together, while the rest of the pack was driving behind us. Alex, Aiden and I have been best buddies since kindergarten. We always have each other's backs, come hell or high water.

"Xavier man, don't worry about it. I'm sure we'll find them soon. Maybe they're from our pack or the Red Dawn pack and just wasn't old enough yet when we left." Alex tried to lighten up the mood. "Yeah, don't stress. I bet they're going to be total badasses and keep us on our toes, running behind them without a moment's peace. So, you better enjoy the peace of mind now while you have it." Aiden jokes. He's probably the most laid-back guy out of all of us.

"Yeah sure, you're probably right. I'm going to get some shut eye and then take over and drive the rest of the way. You good going for a few more hours Alex?" I asked Alex without opening my eyes, since he was driving.

"I got this; you get some rest. And don't worry, you'll find her soon, probably when you least expect it," he says trying to reassure me.

I shrunk lower in the passenger seat and thought about home, how it was before we left. I think about my parents and how much I missed them over the years, they were both so sure I'd find her on this trip. Goddess, I hope mum doesn't go on about wanting grandchildren before she dies again. I know that dialogue of-by-heart now because of the countless times I've heard it, but I know that it comes from a good place.

Our pack neighbours the Red Dawn pack, our greatest allies, my dad is good friends with their current alpha, James. We've been on good terms for as long as I can remember and have agreed to let our wolves cross onto their territory and vice versa.

However, while dad is on good terms with Alpha James, I am definitely not on good terms with his daughter. That little she-devil and her posse have been pulling ridiculous pranks on me and the guys since day one. I certainly did not miss her at all.

Although, I have to admit, she has crossed my mind from time to time at the most random moments and I can't help but be curious to know what she's like now. She was such an adorable kid when we were little, with her two cute little pigtails and flowery summer dresses. She might have looked cute, but she sure was one sassy little hellion.

Oh, this is going to be a long ride.