Chapter eleven

The next day Adelaie was out in the courtyard with Jon, men buzzed around her, either training or doing their duty. The brunette leaned against a table with long, dry grass on it, a blunt sword at her left hand while her own great sword snugly sat on her waist. Jon and another man, Grenn, were duelling, showing the new recruits how to handle a sword. Back and forth it went until they finished, Jon complementing his friend before he spoke again,

"A lot of Wildings fight with a weapon in each hand." He started to walk to Adelaie, going to get the sword on the table, but was stopped when she picked it up and threw it to him hilt first.

"First thing you want to do, is disarm them to try and even the odds." Jon told the group before giving the extra sword to Grenn. The pair gave the group a demonstration on how they would achieve disarming someone. Adelaie looked over to Olly, who had a look of admiration on his features, his eyes meeting hers with a smile. Adelaie gave him a wink and grinned at the boy, his body covered with armour that was too large for him. Olly stepped forward as soon as Jon wanted to see their capabilities.

"Olly, you just watch for now." Jon told him,

"I can fight." Olly retorted, causing Jon to slightly smile,

"You ever held a sword before?" He asked,

"I was the best Archer in our hamlet." The men laughed, causing Adelaie to roll her eyes,

"I was!" He exclaimed to the men behind him.

Adelaie stood and walked to Jon's side, listening as Grenn spoke up,

"I believe you, we'll go hunting for rabbits one day. Maybe we'll bring this one along, heard she could teach you a thing or two." Grenn gestured to Adelaie, causing Olly to also look as her as the men behind him seemed to laugh louder.

"I've seen this woman kill three rabbits with a single arrow and split arrows on a target board into pieces with her own." Jon told them loudly, causing their laughter to cease,

"Watch and learn Olly, you'll get your chance later." Adelaie told the boy, giving him a smile, only reviving a look of admiration from him.

Jon picked two men out from the group, giving them swords as him, Adelaie and Grenn stepped back, watching as one beat the shit out of the other, knocking him out once finished. The new recruit walked up to the three, Jon commenting he could have gone easier on the man,

"You don't learn anything that way." He replied, but Jon never had a chance to say anything back to the man,

"Lord Snow," the four turned their head to the stairs. Thorne was coming down them as was his little pet, Janos Slynt. "What do you think you're doing?" He asked, not impressed with Jon's actions. Adelaie had established that the man had a burning hatred for Jon.

"Grenn and I were helping them." He replied casually,

"Grenn's a ranger, you're a Stewart. Maybe you forgot that while you were off with your Wildling bitch. But I didn't." Thorne replied harshly, causing Adelaie to glare at the hateful man.

"Someone has to train them." he sneered in reply,

"And that someone isn't you. Go find a chamber pot to empty." Jon only took a step closer to the man, his height drastically shorter than the Commander's. "Go on do it. You traitor's bastard." His words caused Adelaie's blood to boil, and anger to seep onto her expression, How dare he!

"Lord Eddard Stark." Her loud voice caught everyone's attention, and each of them turned to look at her hateful glare, "You may be a man of the Night's Watch, but if I hear you talk ill of Eddard Stark again, it will be the last time you have a tongue." Her comment seemed to startle everyone. Most had only heard her say few words, and even then she was never violent. They should have expected it though, she had fought for his freedom, started a war for him even.