Part 12: A letter to devil

Running her fingers through her messy tangled tresses, she tried to straighten her locks that had been unkempt and untidy for far too long. 'A futile way!' She scowled at her reflection in the river. 'Anywhere why would she care?' Binding her unruly and now frizzy hair at the top of her head and decided to leave; The prince was yet again waiting for her behind the bushes.

"Why are we going to the town today?"She asked as innocently as possible, despite knowing the very reason of the sudden visit. Perhaps since she wanted him to say it out and aloud to her, that indeed- he 's a failure, that his life is a failure and that he was repenting his disicion of, 'biting of more than he can ever chew!' That he had wedded the hiress of one of the richest house hold in all over Hindustan and now he wasn't able to provide for her.

She sneered internally.

While blinked at him innocently for the answers that were now long due.

'To send you back to your father.' He must have stated her, despite of what she might think of him, but the words refused to leave.

"To buy you some dresses and things for your daily nessecities." He found himself saying instead. Since he was undeserving of her as well as too coward to accept it aloud.

.

.

.

Just like she had anticipated they rode alone this time, none of his men followed they today as they made their way out of the forest. 'After all abduction and murdering requires a gang but disposing of the corpses like her- that he can handle alone.' She smirked cynically.

Like every other afternoon, the market buzzed with life. Woman bargained...men quarreled and the merchants left no stone unturned to win from their rivals, be it hollering advertisements of their items or lowering down their prices.

Nevertheless, today Devika wasn't fascinated with any of those glass bangles being displayed or even the Persian perfumes or embroidered boots. Today she was intrigued with just one person and that's 'him!' as they walked side by side going through the streets full of activity. She wondered how he would get rid of her? Now, that he hadn't told her the truth, the biggest possibility was that- he would leave her here and vanish, blending into the crowds.

Because after all that had transpired at her home, he wouldn't dare to step forth into that house again. Would he?

And that is exactly what happened....they had barely reached the hub of the bazaar when a group of performers crossed them....although when the group had passed by, Chandra was nowhere in sight anymore.

"Huh! The vagabond scoundrel!" She craned her neck sideways once, just to be sure. 'Bu he was gone....' And she moved ahead after all there was so much to be done before the befalling of the night. She moved on, trying to suppress that 'one' little rebel part of her identity, her heart that- throbbed and wailed silently, a part that had believed her words. 'To buy you some dresses and things for your daily necessities.'

A part of her that yearned him to come back to her and tell her that he had lost his way in the crowds......despite knowing everything!

That evening she wrote a letter taking refuge in the servants' quarter of her own home- now that she was exiled, as the rain pitter pattered outside, borrowing a quill and parchment from a maid. A letter that would bring justice to her as she believed, a letter that would destroy Chandra she was sure.

A letter to Maniteek whose words the very next morning filled the soul of queen Sunayna with a ray of hope when she thought she was fighting an already lost war.

'There's still chance...'

She ran a hand over the drowsed form of her little sister. Who was once again unconscious under the effect of sedative. Her pained and agonized cries were soul stirring, her loud weeping voices shaking her sister to her very core, destroying her very foundations of life and it's reasons. The guilt was so overpowering that sometimes the young queen wished of death to come to her swiftly, recalling the hundred times and more when her little sister had begged her to stop- to convince her against going to the court. To forbid her from speaking the unspeakable- 'Her lost virtue!' But she hadn't listened to her then and had dragged her haggard younger sibling to present her as a victim of molestation.

Overconfident that her plan would work out that Chandra would come over to accept her sister, Sukanya as his wife even if through a royal decree.

  "That I...am a MAN! And there would no scandal attached to my name after you announce it in the royal court that your sister slept with me! It will be your sister whose character would be maligned forever in the society....and I could not even imagine what will happen to her when I will refuse to accept her as my wife. "  she recalled his words.

They had both enacted and cried to gain sympathy from others but the only difference now is that the howling and expression of loss was no longer an act anymore.

'Alas!' It had turned into an ugly reality instead.

Indeed, she had failed and now her sister's life was at stake. She would enforce every ounce of her power be it political, physical or manipulation into the fight now that she can see a second chance being given.

"I will keep my Sukanya...you'll be the wife of Chandra. That's my promise!" crinkling the piece of letter within her palm before holding it over the flame of fire, watching as it turned into ashes.

Opportunely, THIS letter fell into her hands, a letter that was meant for the king but reached his favourite queen instead.

So..so..fortunate for her...

And so unfortunate for the young heiress.