Part 2

After leaving Lancelot in the stables, Delilah rushed as fast as her slippered feet could carry her into the castle's main hall where Lily was kneeling before the Lords of this territory. Her father was at the center of the surrounding seated men. His face red and he was clearly upset. Lily was crying.

Delilah rolled her eyes. Her maid was known for being over dramatic. All eyes turned to Delilah as she entered the main hall, the doors echoing her entrance. Delilah blushed then feeling the weight of these Lord's anger and their eyes. Her father, High Lord Gregory of the Field of Roses, stood from his chair to full height and glared down at Delilah as she approached the semi circle with a slight bow.

"Where have you been, you foolish girl? Your maid forced her way into our discussions saying you had been kidnapped!" Her father's deep voice might have been enough to shake the castle's very foundation.

Delilah looked down in apology, "I beg your pardon, father, my lords. I saw burning coming from the woods and went to investigate. I only wished to make sure it was nothing serious. Lily must have lost me in all the commotion."

Lily's sobs had now quieted and she appeared very guilty for interrupting the Lords. Delilah was grateful the silly maid wasn't speaking and making things worse.

"And? What was it then, that caused you to gallop off at breakneck speeds? I ought to ban you from riding, foolish child." Her father rubbed his neck and Delilah felt more guilty for causing more stress upon her father.

Standing straighter, Delilah looked all of these men dead in the eye, purposefully avoiding the eyes of General Gaul who sat at her father's right hand. She avoided him at all costs. Anytime their eyes met, her skin went cold and her mind told her to run. He was not a likable man in her opinion with his thirst for war and battle. Delilah shook off the revulsion that crept upon her from his gaze.

"Barbarians. I came upon barbarians making camp in the dark woods to the south. I wasn't sure how many, but they are so large that one could best at least ten soldiers." Delilah's voice wavered a bit as she recalled the blue eyed barbarian and she felt her insides grow warm at the thought of him.

General Gaul spoke up, his voice, reminded Delilah of that of a snake hissing in the grass, "Then the rumors are true. They have conquered the south and wish to take the north next. We must wipe them from our lands quickly."

My father scoffed as he ran a hand over his bearded chin. "With what army, boy? King David has taken most of our armies to the north to quell the uprisings of the usurpers. King David has only just been crowned. We cannot afford more war. This castle only retains a few hundred men at best." Murmures of agreement went out amongst the men and Delilah felt fear grow in the pit of her stomach. "How many did you see in the woods, Delilah?".

"Perhaps fifty or more. It was dark. They have made a camp in a clearing to the left of the fork in the path on the way to Froth. They are in the woods. They are quite protected in that area. The trees grow so close together. They would see our soldiers coming from a few miles away." Delilah wrung her hands on the billowy sleeves of her navy, riding dress.

Another lord, Lord Greenwich grunted, "Where there are a few, there are usually a few thousand hidden somewhere. Sources in the south say they attack swiftly, killing any man that opposes them. They are rumored to be blood thirsty. Taking any who oppose them as slaves. Women raped, children killed and men gutted."

Delilah stared wide eyed at Lord Greenwich before her father cleared his throat. The gruff old man sent her an apologetic look and Delilah felt her face pale at the realization of how foolish she had been today.

"Lily, take my daughter to her chamber and dress her for supper. Delilah, you are restricted from leaving the castle walls until these barbarians have been dealt with." Lord Gregory watched his stubborn daughter about to protest before he hardened his gaze at her and her maid quickly pulled her out of the room.

Collapsing into his chair Lord Gregory grunted to his steward, who stood behind Lord Gregory's chair. "We must send a raven to King David, alerting him of these troubling times. We will need reinforcements."

His steward nodded and hurried away to do his lords bidding.

General Gaul spoke quietly from his side after the discussions came to a close and the other lords were dismissed. "My Lord, I understand your concern for your daughter, my concern for her is great as well. As you know." When Lord Gregory nodded, Gaul continued, "I was wondering if you had had more time to think of my suit for your daughters hand."

Lord Gregory turned grim and took a sip from his mug of ale. "Now would not be a feasible time for an engagement, what with the barbarians encroaching on our territory."

Gaul smiled an icy smile and rose slowly. His eyes calculating. "Of course, my lord, I understand. However, it may be the preferable time. I can protect your daughter. If she is married to another man, the barbarians will not wish her to bear their spawn. She will be protected under my name."

Lord Gregory turned thoughtful and remembered his promise to his wife, Eleanor, who passed birthing their only daughter some nineteen years ago. Eleanor had lost a lot of blood and the midwife could do not but make his dear lady-wife comfortable. Eleanor had demanded Gregory protect their daughter, Delilah, with his life and make sure she is always loved and safe.

Shaking himself of his wandering mind, Lord Gregory turned back to face General Gaul, who Gregory knew was renowned for his leadership and accomplishments in battle. The General had fought alongside King David himself and had been helping to protect Lord Gregory's lands from the rebellions since King David had been named King of their people.

Conceding, Lord Gregory gave Gaul a nod. "I will speak with Delilah and hear her thoughts on the match. Of course it is inevitably up to her. She is my only child, naturally, I wish her to be happy.

General Gaul smiled, seeming genuine. He nodded and bowed before departing, leaving the old High Lord Gregory to sit before a fiery hearth thinking about his daughter and the changes that were to come.