Chapter IV: the bad that follows

Nathan Adams: the night after the accident age 21.

His head pounded as he woke up by the bright light of the curtain being left open. The sun was high in the sky, the middle of the day and he was starving. The sun glared sharply through the clouds. As though it wanted to hurt him. He didn't even drink and yet he still had a bad headache.

He rose up from the comfort of his soft sheets. The air slightly chill on his bottom as he walked in his birthday suit to the shower in his en-suite.

He lifted the tap in the direction of the heat. The water taking nearly a minute to warm up fully.

Standing in the shower he closed his eyes to enjoy the bliss of the pressured water, pelting down and massaging his scalp. His forehead resting on the cold tiles to cool down. The water trailed through his hair and traveled every inch of his body like a race to see which drops could beat the others first. Other drops taking longer than others as it meets the curves.

He dreaded the day before it even started. Something made him concerned and he could feel it in his gut. The beast in his mind normally wanted a run at this time of day but it was like he shut off and was the cause for this headache. He didn't care though, he had to finish his assignments before Christmas break begun.

Not knowing how long he stood in the shower, he pushed the tap back, shutting the water off. The room was steamy meaning he had forgot to turn the fan on, he sighed and grabbed a towel, dragging the cotton over his body and hair, he opened the window slightly and closed the door behind him. He hopped into a pair of joggers and placed a baggy sweater over his head before making his way down.

His younger brother and sister at the ages of 7 and 10 were playing with dominoes. With the news on the tv in the background. His mother and father both watching the screen.

"Out of everything to choose from you chose to play with dominoes?" He chuckled as he grabbed some left over lasagne from the fridge and heated it up.

"I think they are interesting." His brother replied.

"And why's that kiddo?" He stabbed at the lasagne. Some of the pieces being extremely hot whilst others were barely warm.

Stupid microwave, he muttered to himself.

"Because, with just one push there's a chain reaction." His brother was always smart for his age and loved anything scientific instead of the ordinary things that most 10 year old boys loved, but that's what made him unique from the others.

In other news there has been a recent local tragedy, we have a report from last night that there was a fatal car crash.

"That's nice kiddo." He looked up at the screen from behind the bench. His eyes pulled to watch what was being displayed.

The fatal car accident was caused by an underaged teenage boy under the influence of alcohol.

Xavier straightened up as he moved to the sink to wash his plate. Watching the images that appeared on screen, he rubbed the plate over with a soapy sponge and warm water.

Authorities are looking into the case as the boy states that the stop sign wasn't there. Other reports in the neighbourhood also suggests that other drunk hooligans may be the cause, as there are other damages such as street signs being stolen and mailboxes being damaged.

His heart clenched tightly as his mind flashed images of the guys drunk rampage. The plate cracked under the pressure of his hand. Making his family jump at the noise besides his father who just turned his head and gave him a stern look.