Chapter 44

Days passed and turned into a week. Ariana's new routine was to visit her mum at the hospital and then head to Wang's to train while Jace had been going to the office.

Ariana trained twice as hard as she normally would because she wanted to be back at the office with him. She didn't like how he went unprotected. It was very risky but he assured her that he could protect himself which she knew was true but it still didn't do anything for her worry and wanting to be there just in case.

Mark or whoever was behind the attempt against Jace's life had been laying low and she wondered why that was. What were they playing at?

That evening she was working in the room as she always did when she heard the door close downstairs and knew he was back. The bedroom door opened a few minutes later and he walked in slamming the door behind him.

What's up with him?
Ariana thought as she looked up at him.

He usually walked in with a smile on his face and that wasn't the case today.

"Hey," He tugged at his tie, "How was training?"

Jace made his way to his side of the bed taking off his tie and his jacket as Ariana's gaze stayed on him.

"The same," She noticed how tired and drained he looked, "Are you okay?"

Jace sighed as he plopped down on the bed and began to undo a few of his shirt buttons. He nodded and remained quiet.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm fine, okay. Just drop it!"

That was the first time he'd snapped at her and Ariana didn't like it one bit.

"Obviously you're not ok." She looked away from him and back at her laptop.

"Why do you suddenly care?!" Jace turned to her, looking at her not so nicely.

"There's obviously something bothering you and I figured it'd be nice to share." She was pissed that he was directing his anger at her, "But that's fine. You can keep brooding."

"What's your problem?!" He said, his voice raised.

Ariana shut her laptop and placed it on the side table before she got up, feeling uncomfortable sitting in the same bed with him.
"What's your problem?!" She snapped, "You walk in here looking all mad and I thought talking about it would make you feel better but instead, you're taking your anger out on me."

They remained quiet staring at each other, angry.

Ariana looked away and shook her head.
"I don't know why I'm doing this with you." She turned around and left the room.

Ariana headed downstairs and went to stand in front of the sliding door trying to get her mind off what just happened. She folded her hands and sighed unable to get what just happened off her mind and ate at her instead. She wanted to just go back up and apologize because she didn't like what she was feeling one bit but she knew she wouldn't. As much as she wanted to, she wouldn't. So, she stood her ground.

She began fidgeting minutes later and couldn't just stand here and let those annoying feelings eat at her. She needed to let it out and there was only one way to do that.

The gym.

She turned around to make her way to the gym but slammed right into Jace who had been standing right behind her. His hands went to her waist to keep her from falling backwards, her hands on his shoulders gripped at him for balance.

She noticed he had changed into something casual but she looked away immediately. The second she was about to push away from him he apologized.

"I'm sorry."