Wattpad Original
There are 13 more free parts

Berries

Berries

Another pesky weed is pulled from the earth and tossed onto the growing pile. I nab another green shoot growing behind the lavender bush and tug.

It snaps and I collide onto the grass with an oomph. I scramble to my feet and take my phone out. I shine the torchlight onto the garden and smile.

It won't be a complete lie when I explain my occupation is gardening. Although, I will need to change the three am weeding session to a sunny morning. And say that my boss is a businessman, not a drug dealer.

"What are you doing?" His voice is low, yet smooth and silky.

Spinning around, I place my hand over my heart and inhale a deep breath.

"It's dangerous to sneak up on people like that." I glare.

"You haven't answered my question." He crosses his arms.

"Gardening because the weeds were taking over the garden."

"Hm, that's interesting."

"How so?" I laugh.

"Because you're not paid to pull weeds, yet you do it."

"I've been reading novels for the past two weeks which was great until you get that feeling, the one where you might combust if you don't do something else. There are only so many books one person can read in a short period, even if you're a book lover."

"Have you started the book I gave you?"

"Um, I've read a few pages." I bite my lip.

"Hm." He nods. "Perhaps that's a good thing. The garden needed to be weeded."

"Perhaps the next book can be about maintaining a weedless garden."

"I won't need that if you plan to stick around." He laughs.

The Boss climbs down the ladder and I hurry after. He's leaning on the bench sorting through paperwork when I reach the bottom.

"Are you bored from pulling weeds?"

"Just doing my job." I tug on a smile.

The Boss chuckles and shakes his head as he reaches for the folder.

"Is there some kind of test that I need to pass? Austin mentioned that I wasn't ready to oversee a harvest which is ridiculous. You hired me for that reason but I'm idly watching plants."

"Don't forget about tending to the garden." He chuckles.

"Oh, and cleaning, because nobody cleans around here. We need disinfectant wipes and access to a washing machine because I'm not sharing a bed with Austin and whatever hole he's been sleeping in."

"Austin will wash the sheets, and you'll have cleaning supplies tomorrow."

The Boss closes the folder and braces himself against the bench. He turns around and slides his fingers through his raven black hair.

"What about the other thing?" I raise an eyebrow.

"I'll handle it as well."

"Really?" I smile.

"You can oversee the next harvest. It's during the day, though."

"I can do it."

"Austin won't be happy, but he could do with a day out in the sunlight."

"He might drink less during the day, or can you add a bucket to the list and some new sheets? Austin puked and it's disgusting. We might need a new mattress."

"I'll talk to him."

"Thank you."

He tilts his head and sniffs the air.

"Are you burning a scented candle?" He smirks.

"Um." I blush. "I was trying to improve the smell."

"I don't like mixed berries, it's sickly sweet."

"How about mango?"

"I'd prefer vanilla bean."

"So you're a vanilla kind of person?" I chuckle.

"Nothing about me is vanilla." He winks.

The hair on my neck tingles and my cheeks blaze. I shouldn't be thinking about the kinks he likes in bed, but damn, I'd let him tie me up without question.

The Boss rummages through the metal cupboard and takes a bag of pebbles and small pots. He places the supplies beside the plants and crouches next to it.

I nab a seat on the stool and rest against the bench.

"Don't you have weeds to pull out?" He raises an eyebrow.

"There's always tomorrow." I shrug.

He chuckles but nods.

"Have you decided on a nickname or should I make something up?"

"The Boss is sufficient."

"Sufficiently annoying," I grumble. "Can't it be something better, or without 'the' in it?"

"You can call me Boss." I shoot him a glare which makes him laugh.

He pours pebbles into a pot and I smile.

"How about pebbles since you're always pouring them into pots?"

The Boss drops the bag of pebbles and glares.

"Do not, under any circumstance, call me pebbles."

"Pebbles sounds cool." I giggle.

"It doesn't sound intimidating."

"You don't need to sound intimidating to me, though."

Looking at him is enough to grasp the concept he could make me disappear without a trace; he doesn't need an ominous nickname.

I hug my legs to my chest and place my chin on my knees. He pours more pebbles into the pot and moves onto the next one.

"What are your suggestions?"

His shoulder tense and his breathing is sharp.

"Then it's going to be pebbles." I smirk.

He drops the bag of pebbles and straightens his posture. The Boss shoots me a dark glare which has me smiling like a fool.

"No, it's not."

"What about vanilla bean?"

"Call me The Boss, and that's final."

"Okay, vanilla bean."

"Tikera." His tone sends a shiver down my spine.

"Fine, vanilla bean doesn't suit you." I sigh.

The Boss retrieves the bag of pebbles and pours them into the pots. His muscles flex and I nibble on my lower lip. I can't make out the tattoos from this distance but his arms are covered and I love it.

The burning sensation grows on my cheeks, so I slide off the stool and wander to the bedroom area.

He throws the bags of pebbles into the metal cabinet and I jump. Guilt flashes across his blue eyes and he dips his head.

I dive under the covers and snuggle into the pillow for protection.

Even though I'm terrified, I'm still going to call him pebbles, even if it's only in my head.

* * * * *