Chapter 15

The images surrounding her grew bleary. Her mother and the Bishops were frantic with worry, though Dean stood closely with an incredulous contemplation. She leaned her head on the sofa's arm – rest to show that her unexpected illness was due to believable symptoms and she was unwell.

Elena knew the attention was on her and nobody would know that Mel had sneaked out of the house and was now running behind the trees. From where she was reclining, she could see Mel's athletic figure scurrying around the bushes and Elena prayed to the heavens that Dean's soldiers would not catch sight of Mel. She had seen the killer rage in their eyes, a milder version of what she had witnessed in Dean's. They were a sharp and skilful bunch and the odds were stacked against Elena. If the soldiers captured Mel...

Oh Mel, please be safe. Please.

Elena uttered a wordless prayer and kept her fingers crossed that some divine help will extend a helping hand to aid in her escape. She needed all the help she could get to give her leverage against Dean, Leo and their army. It was out of a real and simple plea of desperation that she needed to free herself from Dean. To get away from him. She had to. She must.

Elena's head jacked up when she spotted two of the Crew stop exactly at the bush where Mel was hiding. She held her breath. Eyes sprinted to Dean, who was fish eyeing her over Leo's shoulders. From the look on Dean's face, both men were in a serious discussion and she knew without a doubt, it was about her.

Dean's lips paused in mid- sentence and to Elena's dread, his shoulders stiffened. Elena's fingernails dug into the sofa as his head whipped in the direction she had looked at earlier – at the window where two of his soldiers were standing, puffing away. And Mel hid in the bush behind them! Dean whispered to Leo and walked towards the window.

Elena, screamed internally. Nooooo!

Dean made his way and stood in front of her. Taken aback, she looked up at him. He glowered at her. "What are you playing at, Elena?" His voice was steel cold and sharp as an ice – pick.

Eyes wide, Elena insufflate with difficulty as the hair on the back of her neck stood up. Anxiety punched holes into her body. Was he onto her? She only hoped that the Dean's Crew would not smoke Mel out. If Mel got caught, Dean would literally shred her plan to bits and pieces.

"You were fine this morning." He said to her.

Her eyes scooted back and forth from the window to Dean.

"Elena!" She heard her mother call.

Elena heaved a sigh of relief when Leo turned away from the window and made his way towards Dean and her.

"Here." In an instant, a glass filled with an awful looking purple liquid was placed near her lips. "Drink this sweetheart."

Left with no choice, Elena gulped the drink as her mother lifted the glass to her lips. "You will be fine soon."

Foul! Whatever concoction her mother was making her drink, it was nasty and had Elena almost wanting to vomit for real. If she did, she was fine with it of course. It would only tally up to the dramatics of the little farce she was enacting.

Gloria rubbed her daughter's back as she set the glass on the table. Elena's face grimaced at the yucky after – taste of whatever it was she had just drunk. "There's no need to go to the hospital now. You will be fine." Her mother said.

The panic horn blared. No! Oh God, no! She had to get to the hospital no matter what.

"Oh Gloria, Elena should go to the hospital." Liza came over and smoothed the top of Elena's head. "Things have been rather hectic for her lately. Dean take her to the hospital now."