Navigator

Eldernova

Eternity fell from the air, her eyes closed. Her entire body shook with tremors from the cage that Sikhet's lightning had created. "NO!" I screamed, charging out of my hiding place. I refused to let Eternity die right in front of my very eyes, I refused to allow that to happen. It simply wasn't an outcome I was willing to accept. I rushed to her side and knelt, gripping her head in both hands, her long, silky hair pouring over my hands and wrists. I shivered at the close proximity to her, trying and failing to ignore my rapidly-beating heart that screamed in my ears. "Please, please..." I whispered, pulling her motionless body close. The girl who I'd first met in the jungle gave no response. I wished - so badly wished - that I had a way to heal the lightning's damage to her nerves.

Wait. I did have something.

I gasped, taking one hand off of Eternity and reaching into my satchel. I retrieved the healing potion she'd given me, pressed it against her exposed left wrist, and pressed the plunger. Instantly, a wave of soft red light spilled from the potion, moving across Eternity's entire form. Her labored, near-nonexistent breathing began returning to normal, and her heart started beating in my ears.

"Elder, what..." came Antares voice from behind me, startling me slightly but still not enough to pull away my attention from Eternity.

Eternity's eyes fluttered and opened, revealing dazed, confused, wondering, but alive eyes. "Thank the gods!" I cried, pulling Eternity into a tight hug. I heard a tiny noise of surprised from her, and then I felt her own arms wrap around me.

"Eldernova," she whispered, filling me with relief. She slipped out of my arms and gazed at me with brilliant orange eyes. "What... happened? Why..."

"Um," said Antares awkwardly "If you're going to... whatever... that's fine... but shouldn't we check the data archives for coordinates? I only stunned Sikhet - she'll be awake in about a half-hour." Shit. He was right, and much as I wanted to just be close to Eternity right now, we had a job to do; being the entire reason we'd come here. Eternity let go of me, her eyes apologetic. It was fine, I wasn't upset, so I simply smiled and helped her to her feet. When I let go of her hand, she staggered shakily but managed to stay upright. I wondered if her nerves had gotten the memo that she was healed, and not in fact incinerated just yet.

"Right," she said, turning towards the console at which Sikhet had stood at when we'd entered the bridge and crossed the room, with Antares and I right behind her.
So... how are you expecting to do this, exactly? Alaspakta asked me mentally, which caught me off guard; I hadn't heard her thoughts in a while, so I reasonably hadn't expected it. Ignoring the sword, I reached Eternity's side and gazed over her shoulder so as to get a look at the console. It's called a Console, Alaspakta informed me uselessly.

O-kay, I said. I already knew that, thanks.

With a capital 'C', said the sword.
Goddammit. Technicalities were the literal worst (Okay, no, Sikhet was definitely the worst).

Eternity's fingers flew across the keys, rapidly typing out what sounded like a very long access code which her earpiece was feeding her. It took a full minute before she'd finished typing, and she rested her hands for a moment. "I have literally never seen an access code that long," she commented before resuming her task. She pulled herself around the screen, sliding over to the part of the display on which three solitary buttons sat. As the page loaded up, text began to fill the three boxes:

 As the page loaded up, text began to fill the three boxes: