Chapter 1

As my father and me walk out of the car I look up at the huge building in front of me, Welton academy, the boys only school. But I guess now that's about to change. I, Evangeline Keating, am the first girl to ever go to this school... thanks dad -_-

My dad is the new english teacher, and because he'd rather not have me go to a regular school, he took me with him. I follow my father into the crowd entering the school, first we got told there'd be an opening ceremony for the school, to introduce my father as the new teacher and me as the only female student.

I walk down the steps to the chapel when I bump into someone.

'Ow sorry', I say, looking at the person I'd bumped. There I see a boy from about my age looking at me. He has hazelbrown hair and deep brown eyes and, to be honest, he is rather handsome. He smiles at me: 'No problem.'

I smile back at him and then continue to follow my father. He leaves me in one of the seats and then goes to the front of the chapel and into the door to join the other teachers.

After a few minutes of sitting there quietly, and getting some weird looks from parents and boys, bagpipes begin to play loudly. I look behind me to see a small group of boys march into the room, down a set of stairs. I realize one of them is the one I'd bumped into. 

The boys break off to either side at the front of the church and the bagpipes cease to play. The headmaster, mr. Nolan, walks over to the old man carrying the candle and announces: 'Ladies and gentlemen, boys, the light of knowledge.'

An organ begins to play as the old man walks forward, with shaking hands, to the young boys in the front row. Each of the boy is holding a candle and I can see him bend over to light the first one. Each boy in turn lights the candle of the boy next to him.

'One hundred years ago', Mr. Nolan starts, 'in 1859, 41 boys sat in this room and were asked the same question that greets you at the start of each semester. Gentlemen, what are the four pillars?'

Suddenly all of the uniformed boys rise up and state in unison: 'Tradition, honor, discipline, excellence.'

Drilled and brainwashed to perfection, I think to myself. And when they sit back down I look back at the front to see my dad glancing my way, and I know that he knows what I'm thinking.

'In her first year, Welton Academy graduated five students', the principal continues, 'Last year we graduated fifty-one. And more than seventy-five percent of those went on to the Ivy League.' a round of polite applause starts before Mr Nolan proceeds, 'This, this kind of accomplishment is the result of fervent dedication to the principles taught here. This is why you parents have been sending us your sons.' and daughter, I think to myself, though I know quite well it isn't the reason I was there, 'This is why we are the best preparatory school in the United States.' Once again Mr. Nolan stops his speech to soak up the applause from the audience.

'As you know, our beloved Mr. Portius of the English department retired last term. You will have the opportunity later to meet his replacement, Mr. John Keating, himself a graduate of this school. And who, for the past several years, has been teaching at the highly regarded Chester School in London', applause... again, 'and lastly, we introduce miss Evangeline Keating, the daughter of Mr Keating, she will be joining the senior students this year.'

A couple of mumbles start throughout the chapel but it is cut short by Mr Nolan who concludes his speech with: 'you'll be able to meet her in class.'

With the ceremony concluded my father came to find me again. We go to the school grounds once again to get our luggage out of the car. As I walk outside I see the school lawn is a filled with luggage, students and parents mulling about in every direction.

'I need to go to my own office now', dad told me, 'You have your room number?' I nod, he hugs me and walks away. And when I eventually get there, close the door behind me and look around the room I see one bed, one bedside table, one desk, one closet, a couple of bookshelves on the wall, one window and bare walls. It wasn't much but I could make it work. 

I put my suitcase down on my bed and get ready to start unpacking when there is a knock on the door.

'Come in', I call out. The door opens to reveal the boy you'd bumped into in the hallway.

'Hey, uh.. excuse my boldness but I thought, since you are new here, I could come along and introduce myself... I'm Neil, Neil Perry.' I stick out my hand for him to shake, 'I'm Evangeline Keating.' He takes my hand and kisses the top of it, causing my cheeks to heat up. 'The pleasure is mine', he tells me. Then there is another knock on the door.

'Miss Keating, this is mr Nolan, may I come in?' Neil and I look at each other for a short moment of panic before Neil asks me in a whisper-y tone: 'I'm sorry but may I use your closet to hide in'

To which I confusedly reply: 'Uhh, sure...' And so he does, when the door is closed you call out 'Come in' to your new principal.

'Hello, I just wanted to stop by to welcome, and warn you', he said, getting straight to the point, 'I would like you to remember to keep to the school rules as closely as possible, and I will not allow any distracting of the male students.'

Really? I think, just what does he think I'm here to do? Just who does he think I am? But of course I didn't say that, instead I smile politely and told him: 'I assure you sir, I in no way would want to be a disturbance to any student or faculty.'

'Thanks you', Mr Nolan nodded, 'well then, I wish a good year. And ..uh, lunch is at 12am exactly.' And with that he left and I knock on the door of my wardrobe, signaling to Neil that it's safe to come out.

When he did, he chuckls quietly before leaning against my room door, 'It's day one and you already did something to call over the headmaster.'

'Yeah but I think that something is called 'being a girl'.'

He laughs at this, but then puts his hand up to rub his neck slightly nervously handing me a piece of paper: 'So, um anyway, this is my roomnumber, I got to go get my suitcases now, so I'll be there myself in a bit, feel free to stop by. I can introduce you to a couple of my friends.'

'Okay', I say, smiling at the boy.