Chapter Two: New Hope

Carlisle's POV

I told Esme I would be back from hunting by the time she got done shopping. I need to find an animal. Fast.

I start to run around aimlessly, when suddenly I hear something irregular.

Is that a heartbeat? This deep into the woods? It's so shallow. And that's... a lot of blood. Who is that?

I follow the scent until I find a girl lying unconscious at the bottom of the cliff. She's covered in bruises and lacerations. She is on the brink of death. Barely breathing. She looks so familiar...

Oh my God. It's Charlie's daughter.

I have to save her.

I run up to her and pick her up gently, trying not to inflict any more damage on her already mangled body. I take a deep breath and start to speed back home as fast as possible.

As soon as I arrive I bust open the door. I run to my office and lay her down on the table.

"Emmett! Edward! Get down here!"

Not a second later, both of them appear in the doorway.

"Carlisle what's-"

Edward freezes as soon as he catches the scent. He stops in his tracks and turns to Emmett.

"Get Jasper out of the house. Now."

I immediately hear Emmett grab Jasper and run into the forest.

I didn't even think about that.

"Edward I need you to grab the morphine."

Edward speeds around the room until he finds the morphine on a shelf next to the sink. He puts it into a syringe and hands it to me. I automatically pierce her vein and wait for the morphine to spread.

What do I need to do to save her? There has to be something.

I examine her body slowly, hoping the morphine will hold her off enough for me to figure out what to do. But as the minutes pass and her heartbeat grows weaker, I know I'm running out of time.

"Carlisle, she's dying. You have to change her."

"Edward. You know after Emmett I swore I wouldn't-"

"Carlisle if you don't do something now, she'll die!"

I let out a sad sigh before leaning down to (Y/n)'s neck.

"I'm sorry," I whisper into her ear.

Then I bite into her, and let my venom spread into her body.

•••

When Esme got home I showed her (Y/n)'s lifeless body and explained what had happened. She automatically offered to clean her up and carry her to the guest room. After I cleaned the office of all the blood and was sure it was safe, I called Emmett and told him he could bring Jasper back home.

And then we waited.

Esme and I stayed in the living room, talking about what we would do or say when she finally woke up.

As for Edward, Emmett, and Jasper, well they all took turns watching over (Y/n).

They were all oddly fascinated with her. Each for different reasons.

Edward was interested because of the fact that all of her thoughts during her transformation was her wishing for a second chance.

Jasper was mostly interested because even though she was clearly in pain from changing, all of the emotions within her body seemed to be calm.