chapter five - crossfaded and insecure moments

"Why are you so mean to me?" I crossed my arms in front of 4 year old Marc.

"I don't know" Marc shrugged. "You're ugly"

"I am not ugly!" I frowned. "My mommy says I'm beaut- beauty- beautiful" I struggled to pronounce the word 'beautiful.'

"Mommy's have to say you're b-b-beautiful. Like my Mom says my sisters are pretty even in the morning" Marc grinned. "Like your hair is always messy and you're missing your front tooth. And your eyes are big"

"Shut up, Marc" Kevin threw his sand shovel at him. "Thea's pretty"

I stared at myself in Laurel's mirror while her and Millie got ready for Wendy Underland's party. My hair was a curly mess like usual and my make up was fine. Just fine. It looks like the way I wear it to school every day and my outfit was just so obviously me.

I'm not an insecure person. Don't get me wrong. I love myself. But right now... right now I'm just having a weird moment. Everyone has them. You can be the most perfect person on earth and still get a bit insecure with yourself.

"Can I flat-iron your hair?" Laurel asked me from where she had just finished Millie's hair. A question that she knows the answer to. But today I shall mix it up.

"Sure" I shrug, staring at her through the mirror.

"Did... Did Thea Caruso just agree to have her hair straightened?" Laurel gasped sarcastically.

"Shut up before I change my mind" I roll my eyes and Laurel pushes Millie out of the way to make room for me.

"Can I do your make up, darling?" Millie asked once I was settled in the chair.

"Sure" I nodded absentmindedly staring into another one of Laurel's mirrors.

Laurel got a suspicious look on her face and pursed her lips.

"Can I pick an outfit out for you too?"

"Mhm" I hummed.

Laurel spun me around in the chair and squinted at me. "Who hurt you?"

"What?" I laughed at my best friend's assumption.

"You are the most confident, gorgeous, stunning, amazing, fantastic-"

"Get to the point Laur" Charlie rolled his eyes from where he lied on her bed.

"You don't let anyone change you. So why are you letting us do it today?" Laurel frowned.

"I'm just in one of those moods. I want a change. You know how it is" I shrugged, playing with my wild hair.

"Fine. But you're perfect the way you are and the only reason we're doing this is because you convinced us" Laurel sighed dramatically.

"She asked you once" Charlie spoke up once again.

"Can it, hockey boy" Laurel clapped her hands making Charlie furrow his eyebrows at her new nickname for him. Or was it an insult?

"Hockey boy" Charlie shook his head. "It's hockey MAN. Thank you very much. I'm going to get another capri sun"

"Yeah, real manly" Millie giggled.

Charlie didn't come back for an hour and he didn't even have his capri sun with him.

"Where were you?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I played a round of Fortnite with Laur's brother. Damn Tee, you clean up nice" Charlie nodded. "I don't think ill be able to resist such a –"

"Try it and ill shove my foot up your ass" I smirked.

The Preston PlayboysOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara