Chapter 2- The Contingency

The dark-cloaked figure of Kylo Ren looked out the external observation portal of the Finalizer. He had an uninterrupted view of the vastness of space as the stars flew past at light speed. No longer encased within his helmet, his dark eyes were now visible, but only barely. His immense dark cowl had returned, keeping his face within the confines of the shadows beneath. He stood silently, observing the view of hyperspace as he often did, reflecting and meditating within the Force. His breath lowered so that to the unobservant bystander, he might not seem to be breathing at all. No one approached or interrupted; despite the lack of the mechanical helmet, he was still capable of instilling dread in subordinates with whom he conversed with every word he spoke. He was as foreboding and menacing as he had been before he smashed his helmet in a rage. His facial scars merely added to the terror he inflicted upon the officers of the First Order. Before, he'd been a faceless creature, something indisputably feared. Without his mask, it was clear he was merely human. Kylo Ren may be a mortal man, but he was one with mystical dark Jedi powers that no other possessed, as well as being paired with his notoriously violent and extremely volatile temperament. Stormtroopers warned each other if Kylo Ren was stalking the corridors in case he lashed out in rage at some unfortunate passerby. Kylo knew he had an egregious reputation amongst the First Order for destroying equipment on a whim, dragging lowly officers towards him with invisible hands or throwing them across rooms or corridors with his sorcerer's skills from that dead religion- the Force. Kylo Ren's private training room was regularly left obliterated. His screaming red lightsaber could be heard at all hours in there, destroying everything.

Kylo spent hours at this window, marvelling at the view while he meditated, reaching out into the Force and reflecting on all that had happened. His time as Supreme Leader had been short-lived, and although his high position within the First Order remained, he was not in charge. He was separate from the First Order, not a genuine member of their ranks, having always been outside them. Kylo had chosen to join the First Order to be Snoke's apprentice. High-ranking officials he'd never heard of had come shortly after the disaster on Crait. General Hux was undoubtedly informed of what had happened and his failings, along with Hux's belief in Ren's involvement in the former Supreme Leader's demise. These high-ranking members of the First Order were the founders of the Contingency, having created the First Order after the fall of the Empire. The Contingency had allowed Snoke to lead, but it had always been them lurking behind all the orders and plans. The Contingency had come on mass and armed; Kylo's abilities and power with the Force had been taken into careful consideration. Troopers with flame throwers, red stormtroopers, and even Kylo's own Knights had been part of the host. 

His Knights, all Force-sensitive, having forged themselves a place in the dark before Kylo had decided to join their ranks and eventually lead them, had stood beside the head of the congregation to de-throne him- Allegiant General Pryde. Pryde was the one giving orders now. Pryde was the one who'd spoken the day these leaders had informed Ren that he was mistaken about his position in the First Order.

"You are but a tool, a cog in a great machine, the vastness of which cannot be comprehended by a child like you."

Pryde was a tall man with a long face and a character that seemed to fit his name- pride. The man was full of it. Kylo could almost see it coming from him in waves as he stood with his chest puffed out. Kylo had carefully surveyed this man. Pryde stood in front of him with his razor-thin smile on his face. Kylo had examined the way Pryde paced about the room with his hands linked behind his back as Pryde continued to inform Kylo how very misguided he was. Like Hux, it was clear to Kylo that Pryde was a man of science; he wasn't a real soldier. No physical strength, no wounds, no scars. His face wasn't ragged from years of manning bridges of battleships, from losing his soldiers. His long fingers with perfectly trimmed nails showed how he had made his way up in the First Order. Pryde had fought no battles; he'd never been amongst the troops. His rise to power was through twisted genius, a self-serving ruthlessness behind a mask of false pleasantry. No doubt, like Hux, his rise was riddled with the bodies of his adversaries.