{05}

Feuillemort

(adj.) having the color of a faded leaf

The knife ripped through my stomach, opening my skin as the brooding man was smiling at me, the sinister look in his eyes forcing a shiver to leave my body. Blood trickled down my stomach, the thick drops diverting my attention from the pain, but only momentarily. I knew I'd heal, but the pain was still as harsh as ever. 

"You need to know that I'm not messing around, rogue." He smirked at me, falling over his words I knew he was somewhat intoxicated.  

Deciding that silence would be my best tactic, I backed away from him slowly. Trying to convey peace with my eyes, hoping for some humane part inside of him. Just as he'd lowered his knife, a snicker came from behind and a scream left my lips as my thigh was sliced open from behind. A woman walked into my line of sight, clearly, they'd been working together.

She placed the knife against her lips in mock wonder, "Now, give us everything you have."

I didn't have anything though, I had my clothes. It had been a rough couple of months since my parents threw me out and I desperately hoped that they'd find me and bring me home, that was a naive part of me though. The reality was worse, therefore also harder to accept. They didn't want me at home. 

"I don't have anything." I said to them with a proud stance, if they saw even the slightest weakness, they'd pounce. Laughs rung through the air, breaking the silence of the night, apparently, they found it humorous that I was alone out here. 

Both of them stalked in my direction with their knives lifted in the air, the threats so clear in their eyes I knew their intentions. I wasn't going to walk away from this, not alive. 

'OUT!' My wolf yelled at me. 

As my hands got clammy, I knew I had to do something. This wasn't a joke, this was my survival. Listening to my wolf, I gave her complete control of my mentality, allowing her to call the shots. My bones suddenly broke before molding together again. My nails grew longer, as the golden fur began to bloom out of my tan skin.

A howl left my lips, the wounds weren't healed enough to shift, but this was a need for me. As the pain overtook my mind completely, I lost sense of how far in the shift I was. Not realizing my surroundings before my paws fell to the ground. 

Everything was heightened. The branches breaking in the distance, the birds chirping in the tall trees. My attacker's heartbeats were the loudest though, their shock so clear on their faces. 

"Aurelia?" The man asked with a breathy voice. 

Flashing my canines to them, I took a step closer before my wolf took complete control of my mind. Not allowing me to witness how I killed them, she was protecting my mental health. Before I knew it, I was on the ground in my naked human form, the cold biting at my skin, almost numbing it. 

The confusion so harsh in my mind, it even made breathing difficult. What had happened?

Standing up on my bare feet, I saw the huge wound on my stomach. It was healing quickly, but it reminded me of the two werewolves. Forcing myself to turn around, the guilt immediately ate away at my body. 

There, in the midst of leaves and trees, there were my two first killings. Their throats opened by my vicious teeth. Life had left their eyes and I knew who'd done this to them, I knew what monster had killed them. It was me. I did it. I killed them.