{28}

Recondite

(adj.) dealing with very abstruse subject matters

A knock on my bedroom door shocked me into a freeze momentarily, it was in the middle of the night and I couldn't sleep. Deciding to open the door, I hoped that it was someone who came with peace, or else things could get really messy real quick. 

My eyes met the ones of my best friend, she had been crying and her hair was in a crazy nest on top of her head. Opening entirely, she stepped into my room and sat down on the bed, still not elaborating on what was going on. 

"Lilly? Will you tell me what happened?" I asked lowly while sitting down next to her. I hadn't seen her in a while, she had some family business apparently and then she shows up like this in my room.

As soon as I asked the tears started streaming down her face, silent tears, she had a whole raging war going on inside of her, I already knew it. The dark circles around her eyes were a dead giveaway, she was in visible pain and it hurt me as well. As her arms were squeezing herself, my eyes fell onto her legs where I saw something dark. She smelled like blood. 

Quickly turning on the lights, I saw how bloodied she was. Her entire body was hurt. Squatting down in front of her, I grabbed her hands in mine, trying to get her to look at me. The anger was slowly growing in my chest and if she didn't elaborate soon I'd go on a killer rampage. No one messed with my friends, not one single soul was allowed to touch her in the wrong way. 

"Lils?" I started trying to catch her eyes, "Please tell me what's going on with you." Her green eyes finally met mine, but the empty look made my heart break in two. She was clearly hurting so bad. 

"I don't even know where to start, Asp.." She whispered, her voice sounded like it had been screaming for too long. "There was a family emergency, but turns out they wanted to tell me one of the biggest family secrets. My mom... She had sex with a human right before she met my dad, and then when she finally met him, she was pregnant." Tears clouded her eyes as she sniffled, "Turns out I was the pup she was pregnant with."

The frustration grew in her eyes, almost like she was reliving them telling her what she really was. "She's the reason I'm so weak, she's the reason why I can't shift without feeling every single bone in my body breaking. I'm half human."

Trying to hide my shock by her words, I sat down next to her again and hugged her to my body. They'd been lying to her, through her entire life she thought a man was her father only to learn something else entirely. This was the most despicable thing a parent could do to a child, it wasn't unnatural for Lilly to react so strongly about it. It must feel like her whole life was one big lie. 

"That must be devastating, Lilly. I'm so sorry." I started, my eyes focusing on her wounds and blood, "Why are you so bloodied?"

She looked shamefully down at her hands, fat tears running down her red cheeks, "I got so angry, Asp. So, so angry. I screamed at them and trashed the entire place, when I tried to leave a boy from my childhood attempted to stop me, but I freaked out. He locked me in with his arms and I couldn't control myself." She paused, collecting her thoughts, "I slapped him and guards tried to stop me, but in my rage I wouldn't give it up. They fought me so hard and I kept fighting back. Pain wasn't even something I considered. My mother asked them to stop and when they did I came running here."

Oh no, she was raging. It was obvious and I had to be careful in my way of approaching this. It was also very clear she was embarrassed by her actions, she hated herself for what she did to the others. "Is it the first time you lost control like that?"

She nodded her head as her miserable eyes met mine, "I would never hurt them intentionally, wrath controlled me completely." 

I understood, utterly so, "I see where you're coming from, okay?" I tried to convey what my words didn't, I've done it too and it's scary. "But we need to fix you up, you're bleeding."

With a small shake of her head, "I don't deserve to be fixed."

"Of course you do, come." I tugged her with me to the bathroom where I would try to heal her wounds, letting her have her thoughts to herself. "I'm a bit rusty in this healing thing, but I'll do my best." 

Lilly jumped onto the counter next to the sink, where I stood right in front of her. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. Hopefully I still remembered how this healing thing went. 

Summoning the four elements in my soul, I focused on the first one I could find, the wind hitting the window was my focus as I allowed it take control of my body entirely. Tingles started in my fingers, bursting into my arm and hugging me completely. Looking at myself in the mirror, it was pure white eyes that stared back at me, instead of focusing on that, I grabbed the first wound I saw on her arm and pushed the element into it. The surge of energy going through me was one I couldn't get used to, no matter how many times I'd done it. 

She wasn't saying anything to me, but I knew she needed time to get past this and I couldn't help her with that, only listen when she needed to rant. Healing the last wound and cleaning her from all the blood, I smiled at her, "There you go, all done."

She nodded at me, "You're my best friend, Asp. Thank y-"

A harsh knock on the door interrupted Lilly in her sentence, "Aspen, open the fucking door, I know Lilly is in there!" Arrax's voice boomed from the outside, he sounded outraged.

Turning towards Lilly, I gave her a smile, "Stay in here, I'll talk to him."