21. To Be A Lady

Seriously, you just had to pull out your dagger and gun?"

"Yes, Anne, it was necessary."

We were fighting about Christopher pulling out his dagger and gun in the middle of the shop when the tailor realized I had breasts when he took my measurements. At first, I lied that 'the girl the dress was for just so happened to be the same height, weight and build as me.' The tailor accepted it, but then he asked about the chest size, and that turned south fast.

I guess he got a hint that something shady was going on once he found out I wasn't a man (probably thinking that we were going to rob him or something like that), so he ran behind the counter. But before he got there, Captain Do Things My Way Or Die pulled out his dagger and the gun I didn't know he had hidden somewhere on him.

And to think this didn't have to happen if the pirate didn't pull out his weapons. And if it did happen, I wished the tailor would have been brave enough to pull out his gun and shoot.

I shot him a dirty look, but he didn't care. He was more concerned about fidgeting with his new coat and top hat to care.

"Are you aware that you made a full-grown man wet his trousers?" I asked, gazing up at him.

He smirked, remembering the scene while adjusting his white gloves. "Indeed, and he is lucky to be alive." He dusted away the invisible dirt that was on his tailcoat. "And paid."

"What do you want, a pat on the back?"

He chuckled, and for the first time since we came out of the store, he looked at me, first at my lips, and then to my eyes. He smirked. "Something like that," he said. "Now," he held out his arm to me. "Shall we go, my dear? I believe you have some people to meet."

I rolled my eyes. "A gentleman, this ought to be fun. But tell me, dear husband," I said. "What are you after this time?"

He took my arm and enlaced it with his. "Money, my dear Anne. It's always been money."

***

"Remember, act like a lady, and you should be fine," Christopher reminded me for the millionth time.

"I am very aware of how I'm supposed to behave. Thank you very much. I don't intend to act as a hungry animal if that's what you're thinking."

The evening glow of the sun shone on Christopher's face, making him look even more godlike than he already was. And he thought I needed help staying in character? I'd been trying not to freak out about being kidnapped by a handsome madman for the past few weeks.

"I was thinking just that, my pet, just that," Christopher said. Before I could roll my eyes, the carriage door opened by a short, balding me, the head butler, I presume since he carried an arrogance about him.

"Captain Taylor, and... Mrs. Taylor," he said, looking a bit skeptical. "Welcome."

Christopher nodded his head politely as he stepped out of the carriage. Once out, he took my hand and helped me out as well. "Indeed, Walter. My wife and I are pleased to be here."

I smiled lightly to Walter, giving him a 'yeah, that's right. I'm this man's wife' look, but the bloody butler didn't seem to believe it.

Turning his eyes back to Christopher, he gestured to the mansion. "Lady Wheat awaits, my dear sir."

For the first time, I looked at the mansion and nearly had a heart attack. It was gorgeous, with white bricks that reminded me of ancient Rome, columns that seemed to touch the sky, and double doors made from the most beautiful wood. And let's not mention the shrubs and flowers about the place.

Saved By The Pirate (Book One)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara