7: The Second Article

The month of January wasn't even halfway through, and I could safely say it was the worst month of my life so far.

2020 sucks already.

I thought it was supposed to be Friday the 13th that brought the bad luck, but for me it was Monday the 13th.

That morning I got up and ready for work like usual, but determined to go to the police station and get them to look for that knife.

I entered my room, and immediately got called into Principal Summers's office. I walked in, not totally knowing what to expect.

"Principal Summers?" I called.

He looked up, and his beady eyes narrowed. "Mr. McCain. You may be wondering why I called you in today."

I tried smile. "I sure am." This was making me nervous.

He didn't smile. "There's been... another article." Principal Summers bent down and grabbed a newspaper from his desk drawer, then handed it to me.

Local School Counselor Accused of Murdering Pregnant Wife

My mouth fell open.

"I-" I lifted my eyes to his perturbed face. "I assure you, it isn't true."

"I believe you." He said. "Even if you said you did do it, I'd believe you." I opened my mouth to say something, but he kept going. "I'll believe anything you say, but of course I have to let you go." He said quickly.

"I'm sorry?"

"Well... it's just that you're the school counselor. It wouldn't look very good for the school if we kept a man accused of murder giving our students advice." Principal Summers said with a strange smile that didn't really show amusement.

"But Principal Summers, if you won't keep me because of that, do you know how hard it'll be for me to find another job?" I asked.

"Not my problem." Principal Summers put the paper away, then grabbed a box, shoved it toward me, and stared at me. "Please go pack your office."

"Sir-"

"Now, McCain." He snapped.

I stood slowly then walked to my office.

What the hell was I supposed to do now? I'd never find work. Not with this accusation hanging over my head. I started getting angrier and angrier as I tossed things into the box, probably breaking them.

"Stupid bastard." I muttered. Then I grabbed the Teacher of the Year nomination that I had framed before they pulled me out of it, and smashed it against the wall.

"Mr. McCain?" A voice said shakily behind me.

"What?!" I turned around and saw Steven. "What now?! Is it your parents again? Are they fighting? Do you want me to tell you everything will be alright? Well it won't! Anyone who tells you that is a big stinking liar! Nothing turns out alright! No matter what you do, nothing does!" I slammed the box on the ground. "For Christ's sake, I was cleared! Literally clear! And now I've lost my job, so Steven, if you come complain to me one more time about your life, I swear-"

"Mr. McCain!" Principal Summers yelled from down the hall. I looked over to him, realizing I had backed Steven out of my office and against the wall across the hall.

Then I realized I had lifted my hand to smack him and lowered it immediately.

"Get out of this school! Now! Leave your things, we'll send them to you." Principal Summers was red in the face.

I turned to Steven. He was terrified. His eyes were wide, he was breathing hard and he had clenched up like he was waiting for me to hit him. "Steven-"

"Get out, Nolan! Right now!"

I ran past him and outside, straight to my car. "Jesus Christ." I muttered to myself.

***
"Crystal." I said as I opened my front door. "I'm surprised to see you here."

She was wearing a puffy white jacket with fur around the hood and blue skinny jeans. "I wanted to check up on you." She said. "I saw the other article."

I sighed deeply. "Yeah..." I tried to smile, but couldn't. "I got fired because of it."

She sighed this time. "I'm sorry, Nolan. I can't imagine how hard all this must be for you."

I shrugged. "You seem easier on me now, though."

Crystal smiled a little. "You're a charming man, I'll give you that. I'd like to believe it wasn't you that murdered your wife."

"But you do."

"I didn't say that."

"Then why isn't anyone searching for another guy?"

"We have no evidence of another guy." Crystal said. "It all points to you."

"Then why have I not been arrested?"

"Legally, we can't arrest anyone with white blood."

"You say I'm a charming man, but after today, I think even I'd beg to differ with you."

She points to the door. "May I come in? It's cold."

"Oh, sorry." I stepped aside to let her in.

"I'm actually not here to discuss legal issues with you, or whether or not you're charming, though." She took off her jacket and sat on the couch. She wore a red sweater with FU on it. Unfortunate acronym for Fairview University. Why they kept that on the shirt, I had no idea.

"What are you here for?" I sat in the recliner and studied her face, trying to decide if it was good or bad news.

Crystal seemed to hesitate, then smiled a little. "I'm engaged."

I found myself genuinely smiling. "That's great!"

"Alton proposed last night. I'd like it if you could come. It's in March." She said.

"So soon?" I said.

Crystal nodded. "If you can't make it, I understand-"

"No, I think I can. When's the big day?"

"March 21st. A Saturday."

"Won't matter. As far as I can tell, I'll be free for the rest of my life unless my name gets cleared. I'll be there." I said.

Her small smile stayed. "Great. I'll definitely see you before then, but I'll see you there, too." She got up and grabbed her jacket, then walked out the door.

I watched her go down the sidewalk toward her house through the snow. I hoped they weren't expecting a wedding present, because by that time, I'd surely be broke.