Chapter 36

When Ulric finished binding my wrists with a spelled rope, he pushed me forward, telling me to start walking.

"Hey! What about me? Let me out of here!"

For a moment, I had forgotten about the blonde Bob's presence. Goddess was she annoying. Someone really needed to do the entire world a favor and finally kill her.

"Shut up or I'll kill you!" Ulric shouted, efficiently shutting her up.

Without sparing her another look, we made our way out of the building. I only had time to catch the sight of two dead warriors before Ulric pushed me forward. I was walking in front with him right behind me. In between us was the human gun, pointed between my shoulder blades. I could hear Bob and Maggie walking behind us, but from my position I couldn't see them.

I wasn't sure in which direction we were walking, but I was sure that our destination, wherever it was, was outside the pack land. It meant I had some time before we would reach it.

Maggie, can you hear me? I mind-linked the nurse.

Yes, Luna.

To my surprise she didn't sound as frightened as she looked. It gave me hope that maybe she wouldn't be useless after all.

Can you remember any fighting moves I taught you? I waited for her conformation. Good. I need you to deal with the Bob holding the knife when I give you the sign.

What about you, Luna? You are bound and he is carrying a gun. Shouldn't we mind-link for help?

Don't worry about me, I got my end covered. You just take care of Bob. Trust me.

I do, Luna. I trust you.

Our destination turned out to be a car parked just outside the border. He had been smart enough to leave it across the border, otherwise, he would've been caught ages ago.

The moment we passed over the border our window of opportunity arrived. As Ulric began searching for what I assumed were the car keys, I felt the barrel of the gun leave my back. It was all I needed.

Now!

I spun sideways and jammed my shoulder into his stomach, sending him off balance. He didn't fall, but it gave me enough time to use the little wiggle room I had managed to obtain and free my hands.

For the first time I freed myself without breaking my thumbs. I would have to thank Naia one day for teaching me this technique.

As he regained his balance, I used the last seconds of his preoccupation and knocked the gun out of his hands. It landed somewhere in the forest, lost in the darkness of the night.

"You won't kill your own father. I know you, Ren." He laughed.

This was the second time he'd used my name and it still felt wrong coming from him. He didn't deserve to speak my name.

"I've never considered you as my father." I was speaking the truth. "And I'm not doing this for myself." I was doing this for Mom. She would never be free of him as long as he was alive.

Without giving him time to flee, I lunged. He managed to escape my punch in the last moment, which told me that his reflexes were slow. He might have been a Beta once, but for too long he'd been relying on human weapons. It made him lose touch with his fighting skills.

My next attack was too quick for him to react. I landed a good punch into his gut.

He got a few good punches in my face, but I shook them off. Not even three full minutes into the fight, I knew what I needed to do. Surprisingly the idea didn't come from me, but from Shyrin.