chapter one

chapter one ~ new neighbor

📍FORKS, WASHINGTON
DECEMBER 2011

Charlie sighed as he got out of his car and headed to his front door. His head turned when he heard a squeal.

He was surprised to see a woman start to bend over to pick up the fallen bags of groceries. Before he could think, Charlie had jogged across the street and grabbed a few bags from the ground, "Need some help?" He asked.

She was moving her hair from her face when she looked up to face him, but she had a wide smile, "Thank you!" She answered as she stood up and revealing her baby bump.

Charlie stood up and followed her through the open doorway and to the kitchen easily enough.

"I'm Nikki, by the way." Nikki said, holding out her hands for his to shake.

He took her hand said, "Charlie. You and your husband just move in?" He asked.

"Umm... I don't have a husband... single and yes I just moved in but luckily I hired a interior designer to fix up the place for me so I wouldn't deal with it." Nikki answered, as she placed a hand on her baby bump.

"Oh... What brings you to Forks of all places?" He asked.

"I'm looking for the father of my baby." Nikki answered.

He scratched his chin and shook his head.

"Do you need help? Do you know who you're looking for?" He asked.

"Joshua Uley." She answered.

~       ~      ~

"I'm 28 weeks pregnant

"I'm 28 weeks pregnant." I said as I watched as the four men stood in front of me, staring.

"What?" Jacob asked.

"That's how far along I am." I answered.

"And my dad is the father of your baby?" Sam asked.

"Yes, you look just like him." I answered.

"Why come to Folks?" Billy asked.

"Joshua told me he was from here and since I cannot find him in California... I decided to come to his hometown and see if he was here or if anyone knew where he went but after learning that Joshua loves planting his seeds then disappearing, I guess I'll be raising this child on my own." I answered.

"Yeah, you can say that." Sam said.

"So, you're my daughter's brother." I said.

"You're having a girl?" Sam asked.

"Yes, I'm due... January 28th." I replied.

"Oh that's soon." Sam said.

"Not soon enough but I would love it if you and your brother would be apart of my daughter's life since I don't have any living relatives." I said.

"Brother?" Charlie asked.

"What brother?" Billy asked.

"Embry." Jacob answered.

"How do you know I have a brother?" Sam asked.

"Like I said Joshua told me about his life here and his two sons. He tried not to tell me much about his past but I'm nosy." I answered.

"I'll bring Embry over to meet you." Jacob said.

"Jacob." Billy said.

"This will make Embry very happy." Jacob said.

"Why?" I asked.

"You just solved a mystery for us." Sam answered.