chapter six

chapter six ~ charlie's gift

"A baby shower?" Nikki asked as she wrinkled her nose as she stopped eating

"A baby shower?" Nikki asked as she wrinkled her nose as she stopped eating. "Are you kidding me?" She added.

"What's wrong with a baby shower? Lots of people have them." Emily answered.

"And you keep forgetting that I'm not like a lot of people." Nikki said, groaning. "Plus there's a lot going on right now. There's no time for a baby shower." She said.

"Come on, don't be like that." Emily said.

Nikki rolled her eyes.

"It won't be big, you know just us imprints plus Sue and Leah." Emily protested.

Leah looked at her. "You keep forgetting that Nikki doesn't have friends, Emily, so she isn't comfortable with something like that because baby showers are about celebrating the arrival of a baby with loved ones." Leah said.

Nikki smiled at Leah.

"I'm still throwing you a baby shower." Emily said, sternly.

Nikki hissed and walked out of the house as Leah glared at Emily.

"You're an idiot." Leah said as she got up and followed Nikki. "Nikki, stop walking." Leah said, walking after her.

Nikki stopped and turned to face Leah.

Leah noticed Nikki was crying.

"What's wrong?" Leah asked.

"I miss them." Nikki answered.

Leah sighed and pulled Nikki into a hug.

"I miss my dad everyday too. You know I was a daddy's girl and I know I would be upset too about him not being here for important things like this." Leah said as Nikki continued crying.

"I miss him, my mom, my whole family even crazy granny." Nikki said.

"You don't have to show up to the baby shower. It's not like Emily can force you." Leah said.

"But she'll make Sam drag there." Nikki said.

"You're a powerful nymph, you can just use your powers on him, Nikki." Leah said.

Nikki giggled.

"Yeah, I could." Nikki said.

"Okay, now let's go to your house." Leah said.

Nikki nodded as she handed her car keys to Leah.

"You're letting me drive your car?" Leah asked.

"And letting you keep it since Charlie declares it not safe for the baby to be in." Nikki answered.

"Men." Leah muttered as she smiled at the car. "Thank you." She added.

"You're welcome." Nikki said.

"Now, get in so I can test drive my new baby." Leah said.

Nikki smiled and got in the front passenger seat.

/——/

"Sam, no." Charlie said.

"Come on, Charlie, Emily worked hard to put together this baby shower for Nikki." Sam said.

"After, Nikki repeatedly told her, she didn't want one." Charlie said.

Sam frowned.

"I didn't know that." Sam said.

"Well, now you do. Sam, Emily needs to understand boundaries. Nikki doesn't want a baby shower because her whole family is dead. How can you celebrate bringing a life into this world without family? Now I know we are her family now but we can't replace them." Charlie said.

Sam sighed.

"I know, I'll talk to Emily." Sam said.

"Thank you, Sam, now go upstairs and spend time with Nikki, she wants you to rearrange the nursery again." Charlie said, smirking.

"Oh come on, not again." Sam said, groaning.

"Practice makes perfect." Charlie said.

/——/

Nikki rolled her eyes as Charlie stood next to her as they watched the vampires try and train Bella's gift.

"Do you think I have a gift?" Charlie asked Nikki.

"Yes, you do. Bella inherited her power from you. You're capable of warding off mental powers, though your blockage is very rudimentary and undeveloped compared to Bella's." Eleazar said.

Charlie smiled.

"Like father, like daughter." Jacob said.

"I always found myself unable to fully read Charlie's mind, but I dismissed it very quickly, believing that he was just slow on the mind." Edward said.

"That's another part of his gift, where he makes others feel both physically and mentally dismissive of him and he also has a unique tracking ability." Eleazar said.

Bella stared at her father with pride.

Nikki smirked.

"I guess that's why he's the chief." Nikki said.

"I always did say Charlie would make a great vampire." Esme said.

"Not happening." Charlie said.