twenty-two; barricaded in

"Talk to us

"Talk to us."

Harper glanced up from where she had been playing with her trembling fingers, her dark eyes widening a little at the sight of her friends in front of her. Scott was leant forwards in the armchair across from the couch she was sat on, his brown eyes shining with concern.

Malia sat on the arm of his chair, Isaac beside her with his arms folded across his chest. From where Lydia sat perched beside Harper, she started to tuck Harper into a fluffy, cream blanket, sending her a reassuringly sad smile.

"I- I don't know where to start," Harper murmured, her voice barely above a whisper. "It feels like I'm on the verge of tears every time I open my bloody mouth."

Lydia started to stroke her back as a comforting gesture, her green eyes trailing back to their friends who appeared equally as concerned for the brunette who looked like she was practically on her death bed.

"It's been ever since you passed out," Isaac mentioned, "and then you woke up with those bruises on your neck."

"Why did you pass out?" Lydia's face scrunched up, apparently not having received this information from anybody else in the pack. "And when?"

"The other night," Harper's hands parted from each other and they clenched into fists when she felt a particularly bad wave of anxiety crash into her. "When it was just me and I-Isaac."

"She could feel Scott's pain- when he got stabbed in the tunnels," the werewolf recalled, his eyes flickering over to Harper to see her staring at her hands in shame. "I tried to help her, but she started to scream at me. She told me to get off of her and that I was a freak or something."

Scott noticed Harper's embarrassment. "That wasn't you, Harper."

Malia frowned, "it was the hunters," she realised. "They're the most scared of us all. Harper can feel their fear."

"Harper can feel everyone's fear," Lydia agreed, "look at her. She's shaking like a leaf!"

The brunette almost blushed when she felt every pair of eyes on her, but she shook her head and nuzzled further into the covers, her heart beating so frantically that she groaned.

"And you woke up with those bruises on your neck," Scott reminded her as well as everybody else. "And some Hellhound came from a hundred-year sleep to protect you from whatever the hell came out of the Wild Hunt. Something is seriously wrong, guys."

Harper's forehead fell into her palm and she leaned over for a few seconds. "I don't know what to do," she whispered, feeling the tears pricking at the sides of her eyes. "I... I didn't want to say anything, but I've had a feeling for a while."

"What kind of feeling?" Malia furrowed her brows, her slender arms moving to fold across her chest.

"S-Since the last time I saw Sti," Harper admitted, her hand absentmindedly moving over her heart which was aching with nerves. "He told me that we'd be seeing each other soon... But it was like there was something in the back of my mind that he was wrong."