Chapter Six

Harry's two weeks with Sirius and Remus were like something out of a dream. He didn't have to do any chores at Grimmauld Place - "Kreacher would be offended if you did!" - and Sirius let him decorate his room however he pleased. They took him to Diagon Alley again, and bought him anything he wanted. At first, he was uncomfortable receiving gifts from them, especially when he had a vault full of gold. But they managed to convince him to let them, saying they had 10 years of birthday gifts to make up for.

The most interesting thing that Sirius bought him was a broom, a Nimbus 2000.

"Every young wizard should have their own broomstick. Even if you can't take it with you to Hogwarts," he had said mournfully.

Harry couldn't exactly go flying in London, of course, so Sirius took him out to the countryside one day, to another property the Blacks owned. It made Harry wonder just how rich the Black Family was, exactly, but he didn't ask, thinking it would be kind of rude.

Flying was amazing. It was like he was born to ride a broom. Even Sirius and Remus, who flew with him, were impressed with his skill.

"Wow, Harry! You're a natural!' Sirius had exclaimed, hugging him. It was the first time that Harry could remember being praised like that, and he had returned the hug after a moment of hesitation. It was almost better than flying.

But mostly, he and Sirius and Remus just spend their time getting to know each other. He found out more about his parents as well.

"Your dad was a good man, once," Sirius had told him one evening. "He was my best mate. My brother. Whatever he is now, you should know that."

But finally, it was time to go to Hogwarts.

"You should come for Christmas," Remus suggested, as they packed Harry's things. "You're welcome to, anyway, if you'd like."

Harry was pleased with the offer. Over the past two weeks, Grimmauld Place had become home in a way that the Dursley's never had been, and he was eager to return. He didn't know what next summer would bring, but he didn't want to think about that at the moment.

He would leave for Hogwarts the next day.

As he sat down for dinner, he realized that the mood was unusually solemn. He glanced at Sirius, who was chewing on his lower lip, and Remus, who was having trouble making eye contact.

"What's wrong?" he asked immediately, now nervous himself.

"Nothing's wrong," Sirius reassured him right away. "I just wanted to ask you something."

"What is it?"

"Well," Sirius started, obviously nervous, "The thing is, Harry, I've been looking for you for so long, and I don't want to give you up. You're my godson, and that means everything to me. But... I was wondering... would you like to stay with me? Permanently."

Remus nudged Sirius.

"I mean, we'd like to adopt you, Harry."

Harry stared at them for a moment, thinking he must have heard wrong.

"You want to adopt me?" he asked. "Really?"

"Yes, really," Sirius said with a smile. "It's all I've wanted since you were a baby."

Harry leaped from his seat, darting around the table to Sirius' side.

"Yes!" he said, leaning into Sirius' open arms and hugging him. "Of course! I want to stay here, with you and Remus."

"Good," Sirius said, wrapping his arms around Harry. "That's good. I'm so glad, Harry. I don't want you to have to worry about the Dursley's, or your parents, or anything. You belong with us."