Chapter Eight

Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle had already been sorted, so Harry went to sit by them.

"Budge over," Malfoy said to Crabbe, and they made room for him.

Malfoy was glaring at him, and Harry thought he knew why. After all, he hadn't confided in his new friend that he was a Potter, and brother to Adam at that. Harry grinned a bit, shrugging, as the sorting continued.

"You didn't tell me your surname," Malfoy whispered furiously, leaning over towards him.

"I didn't want you to judge me by my family," Harry whispered back. "Sorry."

Malfoy looked a little bit mollified.

"Well, that's alright, then, I suppose," he whispered again. "Good to see you in Slytherin."

Harry nodded, smiling, and they both quieted, watching the rest of the sorting ceremony.

When Zabini, Blaise became a Slytherin, it ended, and Professor McGonagall took the hat and the stool away as Professor Dumbledore stood.

"Welcome, welcome, to another year at Hogwarts!" he called out to the crowd of students. Before we begin our feast, I have only a few words to say. And they are; Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you!"

And he sat back down.

Harry raised an eyebrow, staring at Dumbledore for a moment before turning his attention to the food that had appeared before him. Dumbledore certainly seemed, well, odd. But then again, Harry didn't know much about the magic world, still. Perhaps it was normal.

But judging by the looks on his fellow Slytherin's faces, he guessed not.

"He's a bit mad, isn't he?" he asked Malfoy quietly, loading his plate.

Malfoy made an undignified snort.

"Just a bit. Father says he's the worst thing that's ever happened to Hogwarts."

Harry didn't know about that. Sirius and Remus both seemed to hold the Headmaster in high regard. But Dumbledore did seem strange.

Harry mentally shrugged. He had already figured out that Malfoy's family had some different opinions than his did. He just hoped that it didn't affect their friendship.

One of the other first years, obviously braver than the rest, leaned forward from where he was sitting across from Harry.

"So, are you related to Adam Potter?" he asked, Harry recognized him as Blaise Zabini, the last to be sorted.

He nodded.

"I'm his brother," he said, before taking a bite of his meal.

"Why haven't we heard of you, then?" Zabini asked, a bit of a challenge in his voice, like he thought Harry was lying.

Harry glanced at Adam Potter, who kept staring at him.

"Um, our parents thought I was a squib, and sent me to live with muggles," he said, trying not to be ashamed of this fact.

"And are you?" Zabini asked.

"Don't be stupid, Zabini," Malfoy said. "He wouldn't be here if he wasn't magic."

Zabini shrugged a bit.

"Had to ask."

"I'm not a squib," Harry said a bit louder than he meant to. "Sirius says that my magic was drained after You-Know-Who was defeated, and the healers made a mistake."

"I thought Adam defeated the dark lord," said one of the older years, obviously listening in on them. "What does your magic have to do with it?"

Harry shrugged a bit.