A Mother's Love

Jane

            I wished enjoying a stupid party was an option. I wished my mind wasn't so preoccupied with the boy sedated and locked in a room upstairs. I wished things were simpler and that I could enjoy myself for once.

            But alas, humanity didn't come by easily. And wishes seemed to be just that.

            Luke sat down beside me where I had propped myself on the couch, surrounded by drunkards. He leaned over, his breath minty fresh as to where it almost disguised the scent of his blood.

            "They didn't have parties like this back in England, did they?"

            I sighed, pointedly avoiding his gaze. Ever since our little heart to heart the other night, I couldn't convince myself to look him in the eye. I didn't want to see what he might have thought of me. I didn't want to see the truth. "I wouldn't know. I was young back then. And that was a long time ago."

            "Haven't parties always been a thing for teenagers?" he asked under raised eyebrows.

            I glanced over at him finally. "I'm alright, you know. I don't you need you over here babysitting me. Go on. Enjoy yourself with your fellow friends."

            He looked around the room, eyes sharp and almost spiteful. "Believe me when I say that these people are not my friends. You are my friend, Jane Parker. And I can't help that I'm worried about you."

            "Sure you can," I snapped, maybe a little too harshly. "I don't need your pity, Luke Hartman. I can take care of myself."

            "Trust me," he said, his voice now reflecting that more demanding demeanor I'd first met in the diner the day we went to the Hunters' headquarters. "I very well know that. But something big happened, and now I feel like you're just pushing everyone away. Have you even talked to him? Have you even bothered to explain to him what you told me?"

            "Why?" I squeaked out. "So he can just look at me like he did before? Like I am the monster who ruined his life? No thank you. I am done with people hating me over my past mistakes. mistakes. I don't think I can even look him in the eye."

            "Jane." He reached up and pulled my chin so that our eyes locked. There it was. The boy that came out on occasion. A darker side of Luke that didn't take my avoidance. He made me look at him."Talk to him. I understood. You have the ability to make people think you walk on water. And...even if things don't work out, even if he claims he hates you, that doesn't mean anything. He's still messed up on what the Hunters gave him, right?"

            I shook my head in refusal. "I can't just blame it on that. I abandoned him, Luke."

            "To give him his best chance."

†††

            Deep breaths, Jane.

            I took a moment outside his door. My thought blurred together. What was I going to say? How was I going to say it? This was the son I thought I left behind long ago. The boy I thought I would never see again.

            Yet here I was facing the music.

            I reached up and knocked lightly on the door. Nothing. I tried once again, harder than before, but once again I was met by silence. Then I cleared my throat though my words still came out pained and broken.