Chapter 22

Trevor

My chest constricts as I watch the love of my life fall into a heap on the ground. She was trying to put a shirt on then I'm pretty sure she realized it was one of ours and hates us so fucking much she changed her mind about letting it touch her perfect body. I don't blame her. We don't deserve to touch her and we never did. We fucked up.

We could have destroyed our entire lives by omitting this truth from her. She could leave us and find a new network. She could give someone else the babies I dream about. I'm clutching my chest because the pain hurts so badly. Liam is sitting on the bed looking at his hands. He hasn't looked up at her and I don't think he can handle seeing her hurt like this.

Bash goes to her to help her finish putting the shirt on. He's kneeling next to her with tears soaking his chest. She lets him help with the shirt, but only because I don't think she can move.

"Breathe Mia. Breathe." Bash is coaxing her to breathe to try to calm her down, but her sobs are engrained in my soul. I will never sleep another night knowing I made those sounds come from her.

"You were all I had." She whispers.

"There were times it felt like you were the only ones on my side. You never left me, you said you loved me. You were supposed to love me more then everyone else did." Her sentence breaks off in a cry and I sink to my knees a few feet away from her.

"Baby we love you. We are always on your side and we will never fucking leave you. We made mistakes and we should have been honest with you. We don't deserve your forgiveness, but we will never leave." I croak out.

"Knights in shining armor don't exist. He told me stories about them and then he left, but then you came and you looked like knights to me. You were never my knights. I thought you were mine, but you weren't." Her sobs are calming, but the sadness in her voice cracks me. Tears slip down my cheeks and I bury my face in my hands.

"I'm calling Carter. He's texting because she didn't check in and wants to see her on the vidscreen. He will never forgive us. He's never going to let us see her again." Liam speaks to the black screen in his hands and his voice sounds anguished.

Mia stands and walks over to him ripping the screen out of his hand.

"You won't tell a fucking soul." She looks to each of us now and wipes her tears frantically with her hands. "No one needs to know you didn't love me enough to stay faithful. No one needs to know that I wasn't enough. It's embarrassing. Don't tell anyone." She turns to walk into the sitting room where there are couches and a tv. Bash reaches out to grab her arm and she evades him.

"Don't touch me. I'm going to call my family to check in and then you three will leave me alone in this bedroom. I don't want to see you again until we have to leave in the morning. We're done."

We sit there stunned for a moment before Liam gets up to follow her. He goes to sit next to her on the couch and she angles her body away so Cassidy can't see Liam.

"Hi mama Mia. You look like you've been crying are you ok?"

"I'm fine. My allergies have been treacherous. The hike was beautiful, but full of pollen and I forgot my allergy meds."

Cassidy must believe her because she and Carter say goodnight and Mia powers down the screen and sets it on the coffee table. She stands to leave and Liam blocks her path.

"You are it for me Mia. It's only you. If you say we're done then I will respect you, but I don't have a future that doesn't have you in it. I go where you go. You lead, I follow. I made a mistake, we made mistakes. You deserve better and we will never be good enough, but I love you and I'm never leaving you."

He lets her pushed past now that he's spoken. She slams the door to the bedroom and we all sink to the couches. None of us speak for the rest of the night. Liam and I are laying on the couches and Bash is sitting in a reclining chair. Each time I look at either of them their eyes are open and staring at nothing.

I hear Mia's sob through the door and Bash drops his head into his hands and sobs with her. I squeeze my eyes shut and face to the back of the couch. I can't watch this.

I toss and turn all night never finding sleep. Bash and Liam are still staring at nothing when I roll back over. It's 7:30 and we have to check out at 9. She needs to eat before we go. I push myself up off the couch and realize none of us have clothes on. I don't even have clothes in this room, they are locked in the bedroom with her.

I tread over to the door and find it unlocked so I push in. I don't see her. I step in further and hear the shower running. I grab my bag and take it back to the living room. I dress and go get breakfast. When I return the twins are in the bedroom getting dressed and Mia is sitting on the couch. I drop the food in front of her on the coffee table, but she doesn't move. I fixed her coffee how she likes it so I hand it to her.

"Thank you." She replies politely without lifting her eyes from the table.

"And thank you for breakfast."

She still hasn't moved to touch the food so I take out yogurt and granola, mix it up and set it in front of her. She reaches for it then hesitates. She looks up at me and I see the heart break in her eyes.

"I don't want your help anymore."

Is all she says before she grabs a muffin and moves to sit at the bar near the small kitchenette in the room. The twins come out, refuse to eat and stare at Mia who's back is too us. She throws her trash away and grabs her duffel off of the couch.

"Let's go this place fucking sucks."

We follow her out obediently. Liam checks us out and we pile in the car. She puts her head phones in to ignore us. The twins are upfront so I pull a headphone out of her ear.

"We need to talk baby. I'm so sorry. Let us apologize. Let us grovel. Please baby I'm begging just talk to us."

She turns to me. She looks defeated and exhausted. She lost that spark of anger and it just looks like sadness on her beautiful face.

"I heard your apologizes, but I don't want to hear them again. They don't mean anything to me now. I meant what I said.. we're done. I don't want to be in this relationship any longer." She blows out a breath. "I'm thankful I didn't sign a contract because I would have dissolved it. I don't want this future anymore. It's not the one I dreamed of."

It feels like she punched me with those words. She doesn't want us anymore. It's my worse nightmare come true. I won't survive losing her. She puts her headphones in to ignore us and we drive two hours home in silence.