Chapter 20

~*~

My alarm went off at 4:30am on Sunday morning, which should have been illegal. I hit the snooze button three times before realizing that I was going to be late if I kept doing that. Jason's chauffeur was going to pick me up at 6am, and I still needed to pack some clothes for the next two days and eat breakfast.

Maddie wanted to go last-minute shopping the day before to buy some cute outfits to bring with me on the trip. I don't know what kind of trip she thought this was, but it was just a business trip. She had bought some lingerie without me knowing, but obviously that wasn't included in my packing.

We didn't have any meetings today, luckily, but we did have them almost all day on Monday and Tuesday. For the flight, I opted for a casual outfit of sneakers, leggings, and a T-shirt. I was planning on taking a nap for some of the flight at least, so I wanted to be comfortable. There were plenty of work clothes in my luggage bag for the next two days.

Before I knew it, it was almost time to leave. Quickly shoveling some breakfast into my mouth, I said goodbye to Evan, who was still half-asleep on the couch. I gave him my spare key and told him to call me if he needed anything while I was gone. 

When I got outside, I recognized Jason's driver, Arthur, who got out of the car to help me with my luggage.

"Good morning, sir," I said to the driver.

"Oh, please call me Art," he corrected. "Good morning to you, too, Anna. I hope you have a safe trip."

"Thank you."

Art was a short-statured, stout man in his early sixties with salt-and-pepper hair, thick-rimmed glasses, and a strong Italian accent. He was very sweet and was making corny jokes for most of the drive. 

"Here's another one," he said. He sounded so excited, and it warmed my heart. "I spent $300 on a limousine, and I just found out I don't get to keep the driver. I can't believe I've spent all that money, and I have nothing to chauffeur it."

"Oh God," I drawled, bursting into a fit of giggles.

After talking with Art for the drive, I learned that Jason kept his private jet at a general aviation airport in a large building. Apparently, this airport was near his house; I was curious about where Jason lived as he kept his life pretty private, but I didn't ask Art about it.

Finally, we arrived. We met up with Jason on the runway, and it was amusing how tired he looked.

His usually perfectly-kept dark brown hair was a bit messy like he had just gotten out of bed, which he probably had. He was dressed casually, which was a bit jarring compared to his usual business professional attire.

He was just wearing a plain, light gray T-shirt and jeans, but the quality and fit of the clothes was incredible. I couldn't help but check him out for a few seconds as his biceps and chest muscles were visible through the material of his T-shirt.

When I looked up, our eyes met, and the corner of his lip twitched up into a slight smirk.

Shit, did he catch me checking him out?

The blush was probably obvious on my face. "Didn't think you owned any casual clothes," I mumbled, trying to brush off my staring.

He chuckled. "Maybe I was born wearing a suit."

"It wouldn't surprise me," I commented.

We got on the private jet, and it was just as fancy on the inside as it looked on the outside.

There were enough plush, comfy chairs to fit about ten people, but Jason insisted I sit next to him so we could do some work together.

I made a grumpy face in response.