Chapter 11

The rest of Jonas and Percy's shift was uneventful after their confrontation. Once it was three in the afternoon, Percy was ready to go home. He needed to relax. Percy stood up after he finished going through some files that needed double-checking. Jonas looked up from his computer and watched Percy grab his phone he had laid on his desk for when he was bored.

"Let's go," Percy grumbled. He was a little tired from looking at a computer screen for three consecutive hours, and his eyes were irritated which made him feel even worse. Jonas nodded and quickly turned his computer off. He didn't waste any time following Percy out to his car.

The drive back to Percy's house was silent. A comforting silence. Percy was now cautious about how he spoke to Jonas. The drive was quick. Percy kept his hands on the wheel in determination to get home and be lazy for the rest of the afternoon. Jonas just stared out of the window and watched the buildings and people go by.

Once Percy pulled into his driveway, Jonas was a little hesitant to get out. He didn't know why. Why would he be hesitant? Maybe he was scared that Percy would see more of him that was never supposed to see the light of day. He hated how he was being exposed. It wasn't necessarily bad, but Jonas didn't want to be hurt in the end. Percy glanced towards Jonas. He was staring at his hand and the door handle.

"You okay?" Percy inquired. Jonas jumped slightly and tried to play it off. He failed. "Yeah, I just... I'm just thinking," Jonas murmured loud enough for Percy to hear. Percy stared at him but decided not to question him. "Alright, well... Let's get inside," he reminded. Jonas nodded and stepped out of the car.

Percy sighed once he entered his house. Lola and Bob trotted gleefully to him and Jonas as they knew they were home. Jonas picked up Bob and cradled him in his arms. He silently walked to the couch and while scratching Bob's stomach. He sat down in his usual spot on the right side of the couch. It was closest to the stairs and furthest from the door. He just liked that spot.

Percy sat his jacket on the coffee table and went upstairs to change. Jonas absentmindedly petted Bob and listened to his purring. It was calming to him. The simple sound was enough for him to relax. He was relaxed until Percy's phone started to ring. He jumped causing Bob to jump too. The little cat sat up and looked at Jonas. Jonas, on the other hand, started warily at the jacket.

"Percy!" Jonas called to him. He hoped Percy could hear him through the closed door and distance. "Yeah?" Percy called back through the muffling door. "Your phone's ringing!" Jonas shouted to him. He inched towards the jacket and pulled out Percy's phone without accidentally answering the call.

"Who is it?" Percy shouted back. His voice was still muffled by the door. "It... It doesn't say! It's just a number," Jonas answered. He could hear Percy sigh as he opened his door and walked down the stairs.

"Give it here," Percy grumbled. Jonas looked over and watched Percy pull his shirt down. He must've put it on when he was walking down the stairs. Jonas handed the vibrating phone to Percy who was leaning against the back of the couch. Percy sighed and swiped across the screen to answer the anonymous number.

"Hello?" he answered. Percy waited for the opposite end to reply. A small voice called through the phone, "Dad?" "Who is this?" Percy questioned with a slightly shaken voice. "It's Parker," the voice answered. It was a boy. He sounded young.

"How did... How did you get my number?" Percy questioned. His breath had started to quicken and he was fully leaning on the couch for support. He felt like falling over. "Mom never deleted it," Parker explained. Percy took a second to say anything. He needed to catch his breath.

"Why are you calling me?" Percy hissed. "I wanted to talk to you! It's been a while," Parker answered quickly. "You shouldn't. Y-You shouldn't have called me," Percy sighed. He couldn't keep his composure. He risked crying but he swallowed the lump in his throat. "But Dad! It's been two years and I miss you," Parker pleaded from the other end of the phone.