Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The next four weeks were hard.

Most of the time, I looked like a walking zombie. I barely smiled anymore, barely did anything except homework and sleep. I finished Jessie’s video collage and gave it to her. There were times I thought about deleting everything but talked myself out of it. I wasn’t so petty. Maybe a little petty, but not that much.

I saw her every evening in Musical Theatre now which was awkward. Man, I was happy we didn’t get a duet together. That would’ve been a disaster and being two weeks away from the Halloween showcase we didn’t have room for any disasters. It already worried Ms Chamberlain we may not be ready in time.

“Harper!” she directed from the front row, where she sat below the stage. “You’re up and where is Jaxon?”

Jaxon ran on the sage with a broad smile on his face. “Here, Here!”

“Let’s see it.” She told us and started the music.

We were doing Rewrite the Stars. So, of course, I had to learn to trapeze in a month. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. It mostly required balance and core strength, both of which I learnt from years of dance.

I was breathless when we finished. But the only thing that mattered was if Ms Chamberlain thought it was good enough.

She scratched her chin and stared at us with an indifferent expression. “Something is off with this duet. I’ll get back to it later. In the meantime, I need to see the group performance for From Now On. Danica, Jaxon, take five then be back here.”

I headed over to where I stashed my stuff and found my water bottle. I barely finished drinking when Ms Chamberlain was calling for us again.

Were that five minutes already!

The group performance differed from my duet. It was fast-paced compared to the much slower love song. It had a lot of moves too, most of them involving jumping around and using actual energy. Energy that I already used in my previous dance. It didn’t make it better that we were now dancing in heels!

Damn. I didn’t imagine it would be this hard.

We did the performance justice though. I could tell from the pleased smile on Ms Chamberlain’s face. “Good everyone. You’re free to go.”

Thank god!

I marched off towards the first row of seats where I stashed my stuff, swinging my bag onto my shoulder.

“Harper not you. Sánchez, not you either.”

I groaned, allowing my bag to slide to the floor in disappointment. “What am I needed for?”

“You’re my right-hand man. I need you to work with Sánchez.”

I almost fainted. “Why?”