Chapter 2: We aren't the only ones (Sashas POV)

I looked at him for a few moments, I was afraid. I had always been told of what they were like. And to always suspect the unexpected, I always thought that I would... I thought that I did, but clearly my mind was telling me otherwise. I did not know how scary it was, I did not remember what it was like.
Ben had told me that he would teach me, I really wanted to, but when it came down to it. I looked everywhere, all I could see was nothing but dead roaming the streets. I thought that I was wrong, I did not want to do this.
I wanted to go back home, go back to sleep, and pretend that none of this had ever happened. I wanted to wake up and go back to the daycare. I wanted to talk to Ashley... One last time before the inevitable happened.
I wanted to talk to Ben, I wanted to say hi to his little brother Liam. But now, none of this would ever happen. The community was gone, I was sure of it, everyone knew the threats. But people just laughed about it, like they were silly threats. We had been attacked before, they did not stand a chance.
This time, it was quite the opposite, we were on the losing end, and it seemed like there was no coming back on this one. What would we do when all of this was over? What happens when the people that go outside the walls come back? There had to be someone that was there to help them.
I looked all around me, I could see at least 10-15 of the dead in front of me... That was in the dark none the less, I could only imagine if it was bright outside. This was the worst time of the day to be doing this. I was shivering, but not because it was cold, but it was because I was afraid.
"Can we go inside? Just sleep? Wake up in the morning and do this?" I asked him. He looked back over at me. Holding Ashley's limp body in his hands. He shook his head at me, I knew that he was right... This had to be done right now, and only now.
I couldn't sleep with Ashley's dead body in the house with me anyways. We couldn't just throw her outside and sleep, her blood was still fresh on the hardwood floor. If we threw her out the door, she would be mauled by the dead over the night.
"We can't... I can't... I wont be able to sleep unless her body is in a safe place. Just please help me with this, she was once your best friend." He said to me. I did my best not to look at her dead body that was lying in front of me.
I looked at him dead in his eyes, I could see the pain that he was in. I looked there for a few more moments, and then I nodded to him. He looked at me, and then he eventually nodded back to me in the same sort of fashion.
"I wish I could have given her one last goodbye... She's dead because of me... She would have been safe..." I said to him. I was doing my best not to start crying, I often had that sort of problem. I cried a lot, most of the time I was on my own when I was doing it.
I cried a lot, when I was in the attic sitting in the dark, all alone. Knowing that I had lost my best friend, knowing that I had lost a good boyfriend. Knowing that it was all my fault, in so many different ways.
"There are a lot of people dead, and it is not because of you. I do not blame you, so do not blame yourself." He said to me. I looked at him for a few more moments, I could see that he was being serious when he said it to me. In a weird sense, I kind of wanted him to blame me for it.
"Let's go, we shouldn't be sitting on here for this long. Especially talking as loud as we are. The dead will find us and they will finish the job that the other group started." I said to him. He looked at me and then he nodded. Then he grabbed something in the bush at his front door.
I looked at it as he pulled it out, it was a rifle, with a silencer on the barrel. I hated guns if I was going to be honest, but I nodded to him anyways. Then he began going through his belt and he pulled out a pistol for me and he handed it over to me.
"Only use it if you are in a dire situation, we should be together at all times. But I will run to you if I hear the shots." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, I was still not too sure if he was serious. Maybe this was one of his guns that he had with him in the attic.
I grabbed the gun anyways, I then did my best to fit it in my front right pocket in my jeans. He then lifted Ashley's body off of the ground, he then carried it over to me for me to carry her. I looked at him for a few moments, I was not too sure.
I was also kind of afraid if I was going to be honest with myself. I was afraid she was going to wake up as one of the dead, and she was going to tear me apart. I knew that it could not be true though, she had her brains spilling out of the top of her head.
I picked her up for him, she was surprisingly not too heavy. He then took the lead for me with his rifle out, as we began heading over to the daycare to lay her body to rest for the final time. I followed him.
For a few the first few moments it seemed like we were going to be safe. The body was not hard for me to carry at all either. But then he stopped me after the first we steps. I looked ahead of him to see what he was looking at. I then nodded thankfully as it was just another dead.
They were heading right in our path, but luckily were not going in our direction. After a few more moments, the dead passed us and he began walking once again. I looked at the dead, I saw a scar on its eye. The same scar that was on Ashley's eye right now. Or cut rather.
But I shook it off as it probably was just something they did to everyone that they killed. I then looked at what was ahead of us, I saw something in the distance. I saw someone walking in front of us, but they were not alone. In front of him was another guy, and they were talking to each other.
I could not see exactly who it was, nor could I hear what they were saying. It was dark outside, and they were talking under their breaths. Mainly because they also saw many of the dead roaming the community.
I tried listening to what they were saying. Tanner looked at them for a few moments, he then nodded to me. I was wondering if he was trying to say that it was safe to head over to them or not, but he then began talking to me.
"I don't know who they are... I can't see them, but it's good to know... That we aren't the only ones."