Chapter 13: The deed is done...

Chester just looked at me for a few moments, but he did not say a word to me. I knew what he was thinking, he was scared for me. Though he might have used to bully me a long time ago, he was clearly over that. He was genuinely a decent human now, I doubt he wanted anyone to go out there.
Eventually Chester nodded at me, but he did not say anything about it. I did not think about it too much, as I walked out of the room. To be honest, I was a bit tired of walking in and out of places the last few days. There was too much shit around me, and it felt like I had not helped much to stop it.
I opened the door, and looked back at him one last time. I felt bad for him, I normally would not have, but his apology was genuine. He was just staring at the ground, and I knew what he was thinking about. He had left his sister, and not gone back to at least find her.
I felt bad for him, I knew that he would never get over it, especially if his sister had truly been killed. I was not sure, I don't know what did, and did not happen to the people in the community, so I could not say otherwise. I am sure it would take quite some time for people to figure out the same thing.
I shivered, as I closed the door behind me, and then I looked around at my surroundings, it was too hard for me to see, due to the fact that the sun was setting right down on the horizon, directly in front of my eyes. And I could say for sure, that it did not look beautiful this afternoon.
I then heard footsteps from near me, it sounded like the footsteps of an actual living person. But it was not Chester's footsteps, Chester was inside the house, unless he had for some reason walked out the back door. I pulled out my gun, just in the case that for some reason the people from the other community had already come back.
I could not see where they were coming from due to the fact that the sun was directly in my eyes. I could hear the general direction that they were coming towards me from. I could thank Christian for that, he had taught me to always be listening, and always know where they were coming from.
Whether that be one of the dead, or it be an actual person sneaking up on me. He had told me, the first instinct was to shoot, and then think second. If someone was truly sneaking up on you, it was probably not for good intentions. I knew he was right, and I was about to shoot before I saw he this person was. Luckily they said something before I did however.
"Whoa kid! Put the gun down, it's just your friendly neighborhood guy here!" I heard the person say. For a few moments, I could not tell who it was, and I was about to shoot anyways. I then realized who it was right away and I put my gun down.
I was lucky to have another gun in my bedroom, Christian always told me to have an extra one in case I lost one on a mission. I knew he was right, but I always left it in the house, just to use for target practice and in case something else were to happen.
"Sorry, you should have said something, you told me to shoot first, and then think after that." I said to him. He grunted, and then he nodded to me. He now moved closer, and it was much easier to see him over the sun that was glaring on me in the sky.
I sat there for a few moments, waiting for him to say something back. But he just sat down on my front porch on one of the chairs, and then he nodded to me to sit down on the other one. I looked at the chairs for a few moments, my sister Angela did the same thing to me a lot, I did not want to think on that.
Especially if she had truly betrayed all of us. I closed my eyes for a few moments, and then I nodded to him and sat down on the chair beside him. He looked at me for a few moments, he could tell that something was up with me, I could tell by the way he was staring me down.
"I did tell you that, didn't I? Sorry I forget that the community just got attacked and there are dead all around us." He said to me. I looked at him and then nodded, it came as a surprise to me that he apologized to me, he normally did not do that.
Sometimes it seemed like he was one of those guys, to always be the one that was right. I suppose a lot of the time he was, but this was not one of these scenarios, and he and I both knew that. I just stared at the ground for a few moments, not sure what to say.
He was just looking out at the streets, there were a few dead out there, but it seemed that by the hour there were getting fewer and fewer, people must really be out there, working to take out the dead. I was proud of the community for not giving up, and still fighting.
"I am afraid Christian, I don't know what to do... I think I might have lost everything again." I said to him. Still staring at the ground, trying my best not to cry. I could not help but not stop thinking about my brother, I really feared that I was about to walk in and see 2 of the dead.
It was like Christian had gotten me to do, one of the first days that I was out of the gates. He could not do it, and he was one of the strongest people I had ever met, mentally and physically. I could not imagine walking in to see my brother and Lilly both walking towards me, with no limbs.
I could not finish them, and I knew it... There was just no way it could be possible for me to do it. I shivered even thinking about having to do something like that. I looked up to Christian finally, not staring at the ground anymore as he began talking to me.
"Did you not find them at Lilly's place?" He asked me. I just looked at the ground, not sure how to respond to it, and tell him that I had not gone yet. I was afraid, and I was weak... I was not meant to be like this.
Christian walked over to me, and then he sat down with me on the swing, and we slowly began swinging. I closed my eyes for a few moments, and then opened them back up, realizing that I should not close them with the dead walking all around us.
I remember, when I was much younger, and things were so much easier. I remember being with my sister, and just sitting on the swings. Whether that be going to the park, or it be just sitting on the swing on our front porch. We had a park in our nice neighborhood that we used to live in.
My mother always made my sister take me to it, when it was the weekends, and she was setting up stuff for her classes for the week. My father often worked on the Saturdays as well. She would sit outside and just swing on it with me, most of the time she would pay no attention to me.
She often just sat there, texting one of her boyfriends on her phone. But she would always respond to what I said to her. She had grown up, now whether she might be evil or not, I was not sure. But she had grown into a woman, too soon it seemed like...
Christian was just looking at me in my eyes, wondering why I still had not responded quite yet. I just kept on staring down at the ground, I was not sure what to say to him. I did not want to sound weak at all, I just wanted to fall over, I wanted my mother back, I wanted to cry in her arms, like a did when I was a baby... When I had something like a boo boo.
"No... I haven't gone yet... I have been helping people... I went to the daycare, but that's it..." I said to him. He looked at me for a few moments, and then he nodded to me. I was not sure what he was about to say to me, I figured that he might be a little disappointed in me.
I was helping people though, that is what he taught me. Surely I was not letting him down right? By the look on his face it sure did seem like I was though. I was not going to lie either, I was also holding it off as long as I could, in that same fear that I had earlier.
I did not know what I was going to find there, I shivered thinking about it. I wanted to start crying right now, but I did not want to look weak to my mentor, but it was just getting worse and worse every moment. I felt like the flood gates of tears were about to split on me at any second.
"I thought you had... I came here first, then I started taking out the dead like Shannon had told us to do... I came over to Lilly's a little bit after that, and I knocked on the door... Asked if anyone was in there but no one responded." He said to me. I looked down at the ground for a few moments.
I felt sick, now I really wanted to cry... I had not gone yet, but if no one had gone up and done anything, if they had heard him, they would know who it was, and they would have gone to open the door... It made my feel sick, had they taken both of them?
I closed my eyes, I did not know what to say, I felt sick. I just stared at the ground for a little while longer. I wanted to cry, but no tears would come out of my eyes. Christian held on to my shoulder, I knew he could see the emotions that I had right now. He was always good at noticing the difference between good and evil.
Besides my sister, he told me she always just looked empty. It made me feel even worse, just thinking about that, I did not know what to do now... Was there even a point in going there anymore? I closed my eyes, maybe that could be a good sign.
"They could have just been afraid to open the door. My sister told them to not got near it..." I said to him. I was beginning to get my hopes up, maybe there could have been some good way out of this. But I saw the look on Christians face right away.
He looked guilty about something, I did not know what it was... Had he been lying? Had he gone in there? He said that he didn't, he was not one to lie to me. I was not sure, I just waited for him to respond back to what I had just said to him.
"Kid... I am not sure... I heard footsteps, and those were footsteps of the dead... Lilly's footsteps if I had to guess, unless she suddenly had friends coming over." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, taking in what he had just said to me.
I stared at him, it did not seem real, Lilly always said, she would never die... But I knew it had to be her... She never had anyone come over to her house, unless it was me or it was Angela... Those could not have been Angela's footsteps in there, Shannon had already said otherwise... Besides that would only have made it worse...
"Did you here any other footsteps?" I asked him. Trying to keep my calm. He looked at me for a few moments, and then he looked down at the ground. I had a feeling that he was about to say yes. My brother was gone... I shivered, not even knowing what to do now.
"No... I didn't... I don't want to tell you if that is good or bad yet." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, he and I both knew what he was talking about. Tony had told us, even if Tony was evil, I don't think he was lying about what he had said they did not the kids.
I looked at him, trying to keep my calm as long as I could, but eventually it wore down on me. The flood gates broke, all hell was coming loose in my mind now. The tears began dripping down my face, I did not cry, I just let out tears.
I could tell that Christian noticed it, but he did not say anything about it, which came as a bit of a surprise to me. He almost looked as if he was about to cry as well. He held on to me for a few moments, it made me feel just a little bit better.
"I went to the daycare... There was no kids there... They took all of them." I said to him. He looked at me for a few moments, he looked a bit sick, but he just nodded to me and he did not say a word about it to me.
I just kept on staring down at the ground, and letting the tears drop from my face. I heard the front door of the house open quietly, and then I lifted my head up. Chester was looking out the front door a bit confused, he had heard us talking clearly...
He had not learned the direction that our voices were coming from, that was clear to me. I did my best to wipe the tears, I did not want to look weak to him, I knew what he did when I was younger when he saw that I was crying about something.
He turned his head over to us, and then he nodded to us. He saw that I had tears dripping from my face, so it was a little bit too late for me. Luckily he had grown up though, and he did not make fun of me for it. He knew the reason why I was having those tears.
"Hey Christian, what are you doing here? I thought you were going to go see your brother Ben..." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, he was looking at me, even though he had directed the question over to Christian.
I did my best not to just fall on the ground, and cry away my pain. Chester looked away from me, and then back at Christian, who was the one that he had directed the question after. I was a bit surprised that he knew Christian, but I suppose that I shouldn't be, a lot of the important people probably knew each other.
"I am Ben's mentor, I just came to check on him..." He said to Chester. Chester looked over at me a fair bit surprised, and then he nodded to Christian and smiled at me. I managed to smile back at him, even though I was in quite a lot of pain.
"You are a lucky guy Ben... Christian is a great mentor, I've done a mission with him before, he taught me a lot." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, it got my mind off of what I was thinking about, which I certainly was grateful about. As I smiled at Christian.
"He certainly is... I am happy to have him teach me, he has taught me a lot in just the short time that we have had together." I said to Chester, looking over at Christian to let him know that I was serious. He truly was a great teacher to have by my side through all of this evil in this world.
Christian looked at me, and nodded to me, and then he looked over at Chester and squinted his eyes at him. That was what he usually did when he was about to ask a serious question. I looked over at Chester to see how he would respond to what Christian was about to ask him.
"Have you been working on your footsteps?" Christian asked Chester. I looked at him, and I almost wanted to laugh. That was the first thing that I had noticed was wrong with Chester, and he was the worst at it as well. I had not met a single person that had louder footsteps than him.
"Im working on it..." Chester said to him. I was not so sure if that were true, but I did not say anything about it to either of them. Christian just shook his head at him. I could tell that Chester was quite a bit embarrassed about it. I am glad that I was not the only person to think about that.
"I hope you are..." Christian said to him, rolling his eyes at the same time. Chester looked at him and then nodded, I could tell that he was thinking about it in his head right now, but he did not say anything else about it... He just looked over at me and then nodded.
"It's starting to get dark... You gotta be going soon right?" He asked me. I looked at him, and then I looked down at the ground for a few moments. I felt a bit sick, and a bit sad at the same time. To be honest, I did not want to walk in, and find Lilly and Liam both dead.
I managed to lift my head up, and I nodded to him. I had to go, I could not live with myself if I did not find out, or I was not the one to finish what the other community had started... I hated them... I wanted to kill whoever it was that had planned all of this... Who had killed so many innocent people.
"We are about to go... I cannot live with myself until the deed is done..."

The Home Of The Dead (Book 2)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara