Chapter Nineteen - Tragedy

Today marks 1 more month until rescue should come. I don't think Derik is going to make it.

Most days he can barely get up, and he spends almost all of his time sleeping. His muscles give out easily, so I have to help him out with everything, including eating. He's extremely lethargic, and I can see the life slowly draining from his eyes.

I can't focus on that, though. I have to focus on keeping us both alive. That's all I can do.

For now, I continue the daily routine that I've been following.

I wake up, get breakfast, feed Derik, then eat. After we're both fed, I help Derik out of the pod where he sleeps to the outside, where he can sit and watch the water, which has become one of his favorite activities. I stay to keep him company for a little while, then I go into the woods to look for anything useful. Usually, I pick fruits and leaves and study the life of the forest. Although I don't have Cynthia to keep track of my discoveries, I'll be able to remember all the new information I can collect. After I spend a good amount of time in the trees, I wander back to Derik to help him eat again and spend the rest of the day with him. Once we watch the sun set all the way into the horizon, we go to sleep in the pod. The next day, it all repeats.

Currently, I'm sitting with Derik on the shore, watching the calm waves of the ocean. I put my head on his shoulder to find some comfort. I have been unbearably stressed lately. Derik pats my knee, knowing that I need some reassurance.

Derik whispers to me as to not disturb the atmosphere, "Thank you, Errin."

"For what?" I whisper back.

"Taking care of me. Being here for me, even though it's hurting you. Being my friend. Everything, really."

"You don't need to thank me. I'd do anything to keep you breathing. You're an amazing friend, and I need you."

"I don't know about that. I don't think you need me, you would do perfectly well on your own."

"I don't know about that. You've become very important to me."

"You're important to me too, Errin. But I think you would do just fine if I weren't here."

I decide to not fight Derik about the topic anymore and return to our comfortable silence. While I go through the rest of my routine, I can't help but think about our conversation. Why did he keep bringing up that I wouldn't need him?

After walking around the forest for most of the day and not finding anything new or useful, I start making my way back to the beach. I pick some fruits for Derik and I to eat for our final meal of the day and hike through the blue-greenery.

When I finally escape the trees, the first thing I see is the familiar sight of Derik sleeping on the sand. It's typical of Derik now to fall asleep on the ground once I leave him. I would let him continue his nap, but I need him to eat. I squat next to him and lightly shake him, which doesn't work. I rattle him vigorously, and his eyes remain closed.

Why won't he wake up?

"Derik, wake up!" I shout. Even that doesn't work. Now I'm worried.

I move him around on the sand forcibly, and nothing happens.

Oh no...

I put my ear against his shoulder and my hand under his nose, and I feel no signs of life.

No no no...

I scream his name and jolt his body, and I never get a response.

He's gone.

He's actually gone.

I can't believe it.

Finally, I give up trying to wake him. I exhausted myself. I lay down on my best friend's chest and cry and cry until I can't anymore. Then, I sleep.

I'm all alone again...